Monday, July 7, 2008

More Fireworks, Please!

I love the 4th of July! There is something special about any day that celebrates freedom with family, friends and fireworks. A woman from New Zealand came to visit family here in Mesquite. Do you know what the first thing she said was when she stepped off of the plane? "I can't believe I am in the promise land." America is a beautiful Country that is continuing to grow and change and make herself better. I am proud and thankful to the men and women of the past and present who have given their lives and those who continue to risk their lives for the freedom and hope of America.

Growing up I never considered myself lucky. I never won anything. But as I was rocking my son to sleep one day, I decided that I needed to redefine my idea of luck. I was born into the free world. The land of promise which God preserved and kept his from the rest of the world so that the gospel could be restored to the earth. I was born into the gospel and raised by a loving family. I married a man who longs to do what is right. I have three beautiful children. I told Kai that one of my dreams was to own a home before I was 30, and here we are, in a home that we love.


When I make a list and really count my blessings, I realize that I am more than lucky. I am blessed. And I am Grateful.


We started our day out by making cookies. Let me rephrase that. We started the day out by frosting store bought cookies. Kai is really the baker in our family. He makes the best cookies, cakes and brownies. I am really good at buying cookies from the store.

Kiera has been experimenting with new facial features. This is one of the faces she uses to mimic her little brother. I am sure it is because she is the middle child, but she can't decide whether she wants to be a big girl or a baby again. We have had lots of baby talk lately and lots of interesting facial expressions.
The store bought coolies weren't too bad. Kai's are still way better. I'll have to have him make sugar cookies next time. Below is Cambria and Kiera posing in their Patriotic wear from the local Walmart. Its the only store we have. Bubba didn't have a red, white and blue outfit, but he did have a Patriotic binky.
Cambria and I spent the previous day making little goodies. This picture didn't turn out too well because of the foil it was place on, but It is a huge American flag Jell-o jiggler. It was so fun to make, but truth be told, it wasn't too tasty. So I think I will make it again, but next time it will be a center piece. We also made a Key Lime frozen yogurt pie, a strawberry frozen yogurt pie, AND . . .


Home made root beer! Thank you for all the recipes. We followed the one on the back of the root beer extract box. I didn't even know that was such a thing as root beer extract! I am sad to say that we did not get to use dry ice. I really wanted to because that seemed like part of the fun of the experience. I think we will make a second attempt though for Halloween.


Above, my kids are sitting with their cousin Kiana, whom I just love and adore. She reminds me of a dark version of Cambria. Below is Aunt Candy with Bubba as he gets ready to swim. He loves the water.
Uncle Ke'ala got some fire works from the Indian reservation and the kids loves them. Cambria was a little scared of the fireworks that flew in the air and would sit on Papa's lap for comfort. Every once in awhile she would run to me and say, "Mom, I am so worried that the fireworks are going to fall on you or Bubba." Isn't she sweet to worry about us!
This was Kiera's "brave face". She was very proud that she was not scared of the fireworks like her sister was. I think it made her feel very mature.


It was a great day- as I am sure all of you had as well.
Can't wait until next year!!
Now we are on the countdown for California! 4 days to go!

7 comments:

Becca & Joel said...

the root beer looks yummy... so how did it taste?

Danielle said...

I will have to try the rootbeer recipe! Sometimes the best recipes are the ones listed right on the box. Afterall, it's there for a reason right? I remember so vividly (I have no idea why) standing in yours and Jenny's room at the animalhouse and asking you what your favorite holiday was and you said.... Fourth of July! Looks like some things never change.

Leah said...

oohh fun! Alex just slept most of the time! I love all the food, it's making me hungry just looking at it!! I love playing with fireworks.. John likes to call me a "mini-pyro"

Leah said...

ok I just wanted to tell you THANK YOU SO MUCH for Alex's gift. I love it and John and I couldn't even see the fingerprints! I can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!

The Dean Family said...

so much fun! looks like you guys had a great 4th..and i'm all for buying cookies and decorating them!! what a great idea..i'm going to have to try that one!!

Kami said...

I'm glad you had a great 4th I love that holiday it is a great time to reflect about what we should really be thankful for...our freedom.

The Framptons said...

Looks like fun!!! I have to agree, the 4th is an awesome holiday. It is becoming one of my favorites