Saturday, July 19, 2008

So Totally, Extremely Curious

I know that I am slightly odd. This is not news to me. I have always danced slightly to the beat of a different drum. I know I am emotional (Passionate sounds better) and over protective. I blame the first on my Spanish-Scottish heritage, the second might be a product of my life experiences.

Anyhow, I was at my Aunt and Uncles house the other day for my grandma's birthday party. I have a few cousins who have kids Cambria's age. The subject of Kindergarten came up. Some of you may know the hard time I have been having with sending Cambria to Kindergarten. I have been freaking out for months now. There have been a few nights that I have kept Kai awake (or almost awake) with insane ramblings about why I didn't want my eldest child to go to all day kindergarten. I even toyed with the idea of home schooling until a few of my friends made fun of me.

So, what I am extremely curious about is, are you for all day kindergarten or half day? Most of my friends are delirious with delight at the thought of all the free time they will have when they send their 5 year old to school all day.

The funny thing is, I am a former educator. I taught special education for three years. There was an all day kindergarten class right next door to mine. School started at 7:45 and let out at 2:10. I never even gave it a second thought. But, I didn't have kids at the time either.

The other funny thing is that my mother-in-law is the principal at the school Cambria will be going to. So it's not like I have anything to worry about. I just feel like, I don't want the school to take over her life yet. I still want to be the primary influencing force in her life. Not the kids in her class or on the playground, not even her teacher. Me.

So tell me, are you for all day K, or half day K?

Other than that, having a great time in Cali. Got a sunburn on my back for the first time in who knows how long. It hurts. But I am happy.

9 comments:

Leah said...

I think half, because the next year she will be in school all day. I think half is a really good start for kids, unless you are excited to have her gone all day. (Didn't get that impression) Don't worry about people judging or anything it's all your choice. And if you want to home school and think you would enjoy it then that's ok too!

Chelsey said...

I'm for half days. Maybe if your child is used to preschool it would be an easier transition but a full day all at once seems like a lot to me. They're still so little (I think.)

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

There is a whole day option here, for a fee, and it's hard to get into. From what I hear, the curriculum is the same as the half day so it is more like a daycare for the other half. I think half is best, then you still have half the day to influence her yourself. :) I have often considered homeschooling too. I would love to get a few of my friends together and have a little homeschool co-op and hire an actual teacher to come in a couple of days a week. Too bad we don't live closer, we could make it work. I'm sure whatever Cambria does, she'll love. You'll get used to school too. I'm a control freak and I don't like not having control over what my daughter learns and is exposed to. I'm a bit crazy too.

Danielle said...

I would go for half day if you have a choice. I don't think their attention spans can last that long, (enough to be fulfilling anyway.) You only get them for such a short time until they have to go all day anyway, what's one more year?

The Framptons said...

We had the same thoughts last year with Emyly. We ended up putting her in full day and she loved it. She was sad when she had to come home from school because she loved to learn. Emy never went to any schooling before kindergarten and she just excelled and loved school. We are for all day kindergarten. It helps them get a little ahead and ready for the next year.

Toshia said...

I am nervous about the all day kindergarten but I know Maverick will love it so I am excited for him to start. I still want control over his life but I know I have to let go at some point so I am trying to be happy for him to meet new friends and have new experiences!

Stephanie said...

We have a half-day K that our kids have attended and have loved. I have friends that have kids in full day K and they love it. I don't mind either way. I think my kids would do fine with all day (and so would I), but we just take what we get. :)

Sherrie said...

Homeschooling in kindergarten is easy for both of you. It only takes a couple of hours per day. My kids (the youngest 4) each finished the regular k. curriculum before Christmas and started first grade in January. I even taught Eliza while I was making Larissa's wedding dress and getting ready for her wedding (October). Plus, homeschooling builds stronger bonds between you and your kids. And your kids have a closer bond to eachother, too.

Only you and Kai should make the final decision with a confirmation from the Lord.

Ignore the judgements of your opinionated friends.

If you choose to do public school, half day is plenty in k.

I love you, Sherrie

Tiffanyk10 said...

I know i'm a little late with this comment, but I vote for half day. At that age they are still babies and need to be home more then they need to be at school. They have the rest of their lives to be "out in the world"