Sunday, September 11, 2011

I Remember 9.11.01

I remember a Hawaiian kid's image on the news. As hundreds of cars passed below he stood tall on an over pass vigorously waving the American Flag back and forth. Back and Forth. It was an emotional scene. It was the first time I saw Hawaiians claim pride openly for their membership in the USA. For a state that claimed loudly and often "Hawaiian Pride" I was touched to see Kam Hwy littered with American Flags. Almost every House displayed "Old Glory" with pride and for a moment we were all just Americans. United. I remember the fear, but I also remember the unity.

Today I remember that for every act of brutality, there is and act of kindness. Today I remember that for every act that is senseless, there is an act full of purpose and meaning. For every act of cruelty there is an act of love. My America can't be broken. There is goodness here. There is selflessness. There are heroes who rise to action without being asked. There are those who would sacrifice there lives to save the lives of others. Today I remember the heroes of nine eleven. I remember that united we stand.

No comments: