Traditions are something that knit a family together. No matter how great or small, traditions form binding ties. They create memories that last a life time.
My Father died when I was nine years old. He was never a candidate for the father of the year award, but I loved him in spite of his faults and in between his moments of unmentionable episodes he had moments of wonder and glory. He made us laugh. He was funny and charming and he loved us desperately. One of our traditions comes from a gift he gave me when I was four. It cost less than $5.oo at the local grocery store and was given to me (so I'm told) after a particularly bad illness. I still remember requesting it.
Look at the pure joy on Bubby's face!
Climbing on top of this bed was one of Bubby's favorite things. He has become a full fledged climber. Heaven help us.
We did get to attend their reception and it was really quite amazing. He husband's family's house is really quite large (I've heard 15,000 square ft) I think it was more than half of my mom's street block - and them there were the grounds. Really quite beautiful. The reception was outside in a tent and it was almost warm inside of it. The celebration was merry and full of life and wonderful people.
My girls love to see brides. They become meek and shy, like a lower class citizen would as they stood in awe of a queen. Kiera kept asking me, "mom, when is the white girl going to come see us?" Kirstie was kind enough to make them each feel special and pose for a picture with them. I don't think she knew how much that meant to them. Thanks Kirstie!
Kiera REALLY enjoyed the dessert.
Kirstie and Bradley.




When we left i told Kai (jokingly) that seeing that house made me realize that at some point in life you realize that the dreams you had as a child of wealth and all that it comes with it need to be altered. Teachers don't really make a lot of money. He sighed and said, "Yep, Ryan is our only hope." Ryan who was in the car with us laughed of course. We promised if he struck it rich and let us come live with him, we would cook and clean and do all the menial chores so that he could live a blissfully delightful existence. At this point, his girlfriend, Hayley, who was in the car with us also agreed to marry him in his state of wealth. It was funny. They are still in high school.
Hayley sat next to Bubba on the car ride home. I am so glad for this because he was too shy to cry with her so near. If he would have been alone I am sure he would have wailed until he fell asleep. Once he warmed up to her, he took off his left shoe (like he does every chance he gets) and hit her with it continually until we got home.
After the wedding events were over, life calmed down a bit. We were able to spend quality family time together that didn't involve driving. It involved a few days at the park, one at the children's museum, one at Chuck E. Cheese' and lots of lazy afternoons in the back yard on the play set or in the sandbox. We even got to play a few grown up games when the kiddos went to sleep. Well, one game called Apples to Apples. It was hilarious because instead of being quite and stealthy like the game demands, we ended up trying to convince the judge why they should choose our card.

Bubby loving his uncle Ryan.

This is not a great picture, but it is a great memory of what we do before we sleep. Taking a picture of Kiera with a normal smile is like trying to pin a wave upon the sand (does anyone know that movie/song reference???)
This is not a great picture, but it is a great memory of what we do before we sleep. Taking a picture of Kiera with a normal smile is like trying to pin a wave upon the sand (does anyone know that movie/song reference???)





7 comments:
I love your pictures and the stories about your adventures in CA!
I figured you guys went somewhere because you haven't blogged in a while. Tutu actually called me and mentioned that you guys were in California. It looks like you had a fun trip! I'm glad your power is back on, that is no fun. We played Apples to Apples too and tried to convince the judges just like you guys did! Too funny!
Oh wow I don't know where to begin! All the Christmas pictures are so fun!! I love seeing you with the family and it almost made me jealous!!
The picture of the wedding is so cute! We wish we could of been there and I'm so glad you had a chance to go!
Funny you went home and had more gifts to open..the kids must of loved it!!! BTW love the red shoes.. very cute!
Thanks for the congrats shoutout! We are so excited! Love all of the pictures and glad you guys had a great christmas/trip in CA!
That was a marathon holiday season for us all, that's for sure!!
Thank yo SO much for the props on our engagement and agreeing to help grams plan my whole wedding!! We appreciate it VERY much!
LOT OF LOVE.
i am so glad you guys were able to make it to the reception and dinner! it was fun to see you and the girls! the pictures you took turned out beautiful!
Your little nativity set story is so sweet.
Looks like you guys had a great Christmas.
I'm still catching up on blogs and blogging recovering from the holidays myself.
Post a Comment