Thursday, October 2, 2008

American Dream

I am so sad today.
I have a friend named Mandy. She and her husband are from Switzerland. German is their native tongue. They have two beautiful children the youngest was born here in the US. Their oldest, Sabrina, is in Cambria's kindergarten class. They traveled the whole world but had a dream to come to America and make a life. Mandy was an accountant for a real estate company in Switzerland, her husband went to school to become a physical trainer, but here in Mesquite, he works construction. She joked about him being unable to make a living as a PT because Americans don't seem to be as into being physically fit as the people from her country. The economy is bad all around and many of my friends who have husbands in the construction business are worried about them losing their jobs. Mandy and her husband are worried about this too, so they have decided to go back to Switzerland. She said she cried and cried because she felt like she had failed on her dream. She said for a year she was praying and asking God to help them make things work, but recently she has been praying for peace in her heart. She said that she is trying to picture this return to Switzerland as a U-turn instead of a failure.

I wish there was something I could do to help. I wish I could offer her husband a job with benefits. I wish I could help her American dream become a reality. I hate the fact that there is nothing I can do to make it better. They plan to return to their home country in December or January. I will be very sad to say good-bye to this friend.

6 comments:

Sunnie said...

i hate it when friends move away. there is nothing good about it.

Leah Ferguson said...

Gosh that is so sad Amy, I feel so bad for you! I hate moving or when friends move.. it's always so hard to say goodbye and you always wonder if you'll stay in touch. I wish I could help too :[

Stephanie said...

That is too bad...hopefully things will work out for them whether they are able to stay here or have to move to Switzerland. I'm sure they will find happiness. :) The American dream is definitely something the rest of us take for granted.

The Dean Family said...

that is so sad:( the economy is REALLY bad everywhere...i wish all the best to your friends! loved the slip and slide photos..josh would've done the same thing..he's such a dare devil with ella!

HaYn Mama said...

That is sad. . . at least they have a plan to keep their family afloat. Sometimes you just gotta do what you need to for the sake of your family. . . we know what that's like. . .we'd rather be in Hawaii than Utah!

austin and cherisse said...

O sad, times are so hard right now for everyone, they just came at the wrong time : (