Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kindergarten open house -wew we survived!

It was relatively painless. In fact I will go so far as to say that going to Cambria's kindergarten open house was a pleasant experience. We met her teacher, saw her classroom, glued a little art project, checked out the room and picked up our assigned homework. We know 4 kids that will be in her class. I am glad of that. The greatest thing though: the teacher didn't even show a look of disgust when I told her that I would be taking Cambria out half day. Maybe she was forewarned. At any rate, I asked her what her daily schedule was so that I might find a natural break at which time to collect my child. I told her I was thinking about coming to pick her up between 1:00pm and 1:30. Turns out at 1:00 the kids have center. At 1:30 the kids have recess. At 2:20 the kids have specialists (PE, art, music, library) So really sh won't be missing anything scholastic. In fact, as a former teacher myself, it kind of seems like the activities after 1:00 are designed to stretch out the day rather than provide hard core education. So I feel goo. I also feel goo that I told no one else (except you out there in the blogging world) of my decision to take her out half day. Turns out a lady a Kai's school is dong the same thing with her daughter that I am. She has been aggressively confronted by strangers, 3 to be exact, that have proceeded to tell her that she really shouldn't be doing "that" to her child, questioned her parenting skills and told her that she would regret her foolish decision. Her mother also gave her a hard time about her decision to take her child out half day. It makes me very thankful to Kai for his support in this decision and to my mom as well, and even to my mother-in-law who I am sure wasn't thrilled about my decision, but didn't try to talk me out of it. I am really glad that I kept my mouth shut. I haven't even told my close friends around here, but I am sure they will find out soon enough. I hope they are kind:) Just kidding, I am sure they will be.

So, this is my oldest baby at her kindergarten sink. There are two in the classroom and we made sure to wash or hands in both. They had so much fun in the classroom that they didn't want to leave. Kiera is going to be so sad that she can't go to school with Cambria. Kiera loved the puppet theater.
I forgot to put this on my last post about Bubba!
Words he says!
Mama - his first!
Dada
Hi
Bubba
uh-oh
shakes his head side-to-side for no!

4 comments:

Leah said...

I knew the teacher wouldn't care! I'm glad she didn't for your sake but I promise your not the first to make this decision. I can't believe people are so judgmental! Who cares, it's your life and your child and they need to butt out!! Argh! No way!! He's talking!! You go to get some video of that!

Sunnie said...

i'm so glad it went over so well. i can't believ that tomorrow school starts for forever. it really is so crazy! can't wait to hear about her first day!

My Many Coloured Days said...

I've met several long-time kindergarten teachers who hate that they have to teach full-day. I'm glad it has all worked out for you. I too am confronted with many who can't understand our kindergarten decision... but in the end, no matter what and how much you explain, you do have to do what's best for your family. Wish we were closer to vent together! Glad her "first" experience was so good.

HaYn Mama said...

Girl you ROCK. I would have just caved in and let her stay the whole day instead of talking to the teacher. . .I'm such a chicken. However, I am the kind of mom that is so grateful for full day kindergarten. Kanalu grew so much academically last year I was so impressed with him. I'm so impatient with my kids, I couldn't help them academically at home. . . I only have enough patience for homework. Have fun this school year and keep strong cuz you're the mommy and you know better than anyone else what your children need and what you can handle in your home.