Wednesday, August 20, 2008

That is my final answer!

Some of you have asked me about my final decision about Kindergarten. Did I decide on full day or half day or home school. ? Well, let me just tell you that It took me all summer to decide. Many a night was spent tossing and turning and many days full of stress and turmoil as I pondered this dilemma. I have even endured ridicule from friends. (I still love them though!)

I know that children are resilient. I know that they can take most situations and make some kind of adjustment to them. I knew that whatever decision I made, Cambria would be alright. So I dug deep and tried to understand the root of my dilemma and why this whole situation had become a dilemma for me.

I discovered that I have some very strong opinions about several matters that I will keep to myself because I truly don't want anyone to take my opinion personally and be offended. I have, however concluded what decision will be best for me and my daughter and my family and finally feel at peace. (I know some of you are just now realizing how crazy I am!)

My decision is this. I will allow Cambria to stay for half day kindergarten. The principal (my mother-in-law) has let me know that there is no law preventing me from doing this and that Cambria will simply have to take a proficiency test to get into 1st grade. She says that the two main reasons the school district has gone to all day is because of daycare related issues and English as a second language issues. Neither of these apply to me. I enjoy being involved in my child's life and will be happy to continue her education at home after her regular school day ends.

We are going to Kindergarten open house on Friday. I will discuss this with Cambria's teacher (who I am sure will hate me) and try to find a natural break in between activities and lessons that would be a good exit time.

I feel like my time is precious with my children and someday I will be wondering how the time passed so quickly. I also feel like it is more important for me to be Cambria's main influence than it is for the school district to be her main influence.

So, I feel very relieved finally arriving at this decision. I am a little apprehensive to tell her teacher. I don't really like to be a boat rocker. I am sure there will be talk in the teacher's lounge about me. :)

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Amy, You have to do what is best for your family! Good for you! My daughter Anna is in 1st grade and she is having a hard time going all day. I think half day is just fine for Kindergarten. They need to slowly transition into school. Good luck! I'm sure you aren't the only parent that feels this way.

Anonymous said...

We would love to see you in Coeurdalene! We go up the second week in July every year. As for the trek, we had a great time! My baby is only 5 months but my milk dried up so I had to stop nursing otherwise we wouldn't have been able to go either. It definitely was a sacrifice for us but we have been blessed for it.

Stephanie said...

You've made a good decision for Cambria because you are her mom and you know her better than anyone. I'm sure things will work out perfect and someday, she will graduate highschool and go to college and she will be just fine! :)

Sunnie said...

good luck with telling the teacher. i would be nervous too. i think that really you have to do what you feel is right. it's scary sending them out into the world when you feel like they are just barely learning how to look out for themselves. you'll have to let me know how it goes with the teacher and with cambria and all that. good luck with the big talk!

Danielle said...

I totally don't blame you. You have to do what good for you and your kids! Dan looked us up a few years ago while he was here on business. He and Jason hung out, but I didn't see him. He will definitely have to get in touch if he does come here. How random!

Leah said...

I think you really do have to do what you think is right. That is all that matters in the end is how you feel about it! And it's not like your not letting her go at all! I don't think the teacher will care either way.. if she does, and doesn't understand your reasoning then she a. must not have kids, and b. doesn't need to offer her opinion in the matter. Don't stress!

Tiffanyk10 said...

Good for you Amy!! Heavenly Father trusted you with these precious babies and left it up to you to know them and do what is right for them. You will never regret spending more time with your kids.