Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Letter From the Editor

A very long time ago, somewhere in early 2008 I wrote a post about an annoying neighborhood boy from a neglectful family who stole our stuff and swam in our pool when we were not home I wondered how I could keep him out of our yard. I did not realize at the time what a jerk I sounded like when I was venting my frustration. I didn't want him to steal our stuff or drop the "f" bomb around my kids and I most certainly did not want him to drown in our pool.

Now having said that, I want to make it clear that I did not turn a blind eye to this child as I have recently found out some people think that I did, seeing me as heartless and cruel. I know he has a less than desirable home life and our house is most likely the only place that he can see a "functional family." We have taken him on many outings with us and see him quite regularly. His behavior has improved quite drastically. I haven't heard him drop the "f" bomb once this year and he hasn't stolen anything from our house. Bubba actually adores him and is so excited every time he knocks on our door. I was frustrated when I wrote that post and I will take more care in thinking about the things that I write and choose to vent about.

Next Subject:
Take Me Back to Da Kine
Last week before we left to California we attended a graduation Luau and I can't tell you how much I felt like I was back in Laie. The Luau was in an old Bunkerville bldg that so closely resembled the LDS Chapel in Laie near the bus stop. The food, the people the flowers, the dancing, I think I almost heard the ocean waves undulating in the background.


Love this picture of my two chocolates . . .
My kids spent half the time running around the dance floor between tapa cloths. They were trying to get the lei on Bubba's head. He was pretty good at dodging them.


The Slap dance. Oh they also did a Haka. We were sitting in the front row and they got so close to us that when they did their final yell and jump me and the girls jumped in fear because they were practically in our laps. Which by the way, Rugby fans might I suggest the movie Forever Strong a true story about a Coach in Utah, one unlikely hero and a high school rugby team. Might even be a good father's day gift. It is one of those inspirational sports movie types.
The Hawaiian hula: Cambria nd Kiera were standing next to me trying to copy everything this beautiful girl was doing.
Bubba wasn't sure about the coconut cake.
Wahine Ilikea: My little vanilla baby.
Lani . . . She fits in with the Hawaiian theme.

Trying to create a grass skirt.
We miss you Hawaii: A hui hou, me ke aloha!
Oh, and about the first picture of the Mountains . . . I just love them something about the mountain range near our house has captivated me since we moved here. I love to look at them and I love how they change colors with the setting and rising of the sun. I grew up in California and the mountain range was constantly under a thick blanket of smog . . . maybe that is why they have a hold on me, its like I am seeing mountains for the very first time.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Looks like you guys fit right in at the Luau. Where did you get the girls dresses? They are so cute and so hawaiian! What a beautiful family you have!

Tiffanyk10 said...

That looked like so much fun! Your kids are so beautiful! I wish we could have visited more when you were here, but Sassy wasn't having it!

Tiffanyk10 said...

Oh and I never judged you about that little boy. I can't see you being mean to anyone, much less a child. i know how frustrating it can be to have a foul mouth neighborhood child attach to your family. I am sure you guys are an amazing influence on him!!!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Needed to hear this positive outcome with a similar situation taking place right now. I haven't been nearly as kind-hearted as you have - mostly just looking forward to moving! You are a great example.

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

Oh, Amy! You've made me miss Hawaii too. I've been thinking about our simple days in Laie a lot lately. I'd like to go back for a visit sometime. You're lucky to have that beautiful mountain range to look at near your house. It is captivating. And about the crayons on the wall: try the magic eraser my Mr. Clean. That worked for me. Now I have nothing but washable crayons around the house... they wash with just water! Oh yeah, one more thing: I don't know how anyone could think you are cold hearted at all. I know you are a kind person. :)

Leah said...

You guys looked like you had such a fun time! I love the movie Forever Strong.. very good. I love the pictures of the kids they're so cute!!! I want to go to Hawaii SO bad!

Danielle said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE how you call your kids chocolate and vanilla! I laughed out loud at that one.

Nicole said...

Love it, I have to admit through out the whole post I could not stop smiling! Your kids are so cute, and the pictures are wonderful! Great job Amy! This post makes me miss you guys tons!