I have recently posted some trackers on my blog and I feel somewhat disturbed at the findings. Foreign countries have visited as well as people who may be looking at pictures for the wrong reasons. I feel like I want to protect the pictures and stories of my children.
Our friends and family (even from way back when) may continue to look at our blog anytime. I love keeping in touch this way. Please send me your email address so that I may invite you to view my blog.
amykaidavis12@yahoo.com
My friend also posted these safety tips on her blog. They were very enlightening to me and I thought I'd share. I don't know how to do one of those cool link things that have a hot spot, so I had to do the old fashioned cut and paste. I hope she doesn't mind. I thought they were very important tips.
"My Many Coloured Days" says:
"Blogging Safety Tips
I’ve had a lot of thoughts lately about blogging and have decided to compile them and provide a bit of a safety tip list that I wanted to share with you. Unfortunately a lot of you are breaking some of these tips, and haphazardly putting yourselves and your family at potential risk. I am not pointing any fingers here, I utterly enjoy reading all of your blogs, however I just want you to all be safe. Granted I know that if someone is serious about stalking you they have a million ways at their fingertips to do so, but let’s not give them another one.A friend of mine recently had some issues with certain pictures of her daughters being repeatedly viewed by numerous strangers. I followed her suggestion to use a different tracker (the annoying one some of you complained about) for about a week to see exactly who was viewing what. I was surprised and disgusted that two of my posts in particular were being viewed quite often and the link was from a sex site that I would need a password to access. I quickly deleted the posts and watched as my traffic thankfully decreased. So it was with these thoughts and this experience that I post my personal list of blogging safety tips. Note that I would love you to add to these, as this list is by no means comprehensive.*Keep your calendar at home. Don’t announce to the internet netherworld that you hit the gym every day at 6am, take your kids to the nearby park every day at 2pm, or that you will be leaving town and going on vacation to Disney on April 21st to the 28th. (I’m not by the way, but I sort of wish I were!) Not only will somebody who is not your friend know where you are, but they will know where you aren’t… that your home is empty.*Personal information is personal. At your discretion, don’t post personal information. Names (especially last names), addresses, phone numbers, school’s names, employment information, last names of friends or relatives (in your posts or links), ages are iffy, and birthdates are a must not. (I know, I’ve broken a lot of these “tips” too!)*Watch your pictures. Never post provocative pictures. Remember that what is cute, adorable or funny to you may be provocative for a pedophile. It only takes one of them to view it and then pass it on to others. Naked baby photos, bath time fun photos, even children in dress-up costumes…if you have pictures like this that you want to share with friends and family, you may have to go back to the old fashioned email or snail mail, or start a private family blog… online is permanent and anyone on the internet can save a picture or post to their computer or even print it out. Look over your pictures before you post them to make sure that none of the personal information you are making sure not to write is in the background or foreground of your pictures. Those first day of school pictures in front of the school give a lot of information you may not want passed out to anyone. This past winter my two eldest went around and shoveled the walks of everyone on our cul-de-sac of their very own accord. I was thrilled and as a proud mama took lots of pics to post for you… but then I realized that you would easily see where I live, that the numbers on the houses were easy to read and well, those of you who I want to know where I live do or can, but those I don’t, won’t. One of the pictures that was being accessed and viewed by a sex site was of my three year old son wearing a leotard and being a little ballerina. So sad, but it is up to us to use more discretion than necessary if we want to keep our blogs public.*Be nice and only mostly honest. Most of you are, but do remember that while you do have freedom of speech, some people are crazy and may take offence and then get defensive and then you may have a whole other problem on your hands. Read this to get what I’m talking about. You don’t want to be slandering your mother-in-law online… because, really, what do you ever have to complain about :) I also worry about employers, or potential employers. Mr. Man mentioned that several employers are going on facebook and all those other modern online conveniences and reading everything a potential employee has ever written. So be careful. Writing that you called in sick to work to spend a day having fun may not be the best thing for your future employer to read. This one is a tricky one and I don’t have much to say on it, but I think it’s important to consider the person you are portraying and not just what you are putting out there, but whom. Also, something I've learned is to be careful what your titles are... those are what people will search to. I'm not too worried about those coming who googled, "chore charts", but I am wary of the "skinny dipping" ones! Here’s another link to some helpful tips.I went over some of these tips with a friend of mine this morning and then went on to tell her everything I thought she should take off her blog in order to be safe. I didn’t want to offend, but in the end she was more than grateful and almost barged into my house to do it immediately! She suggested we set up a sort of watchdog system… as friends we should help each other out and let each other know when we think they’ve violated the safety tips or just given too much information. I would definitely appreciate such comments. The safety kid in me notices these things so easily now. I’m not trying to scare you, just alert you and remind you. Happy, safe blogging"
Glitter Shoot! Child Photogrpher: Mesquite, NV
-
I am the proud mama of these two little beauties (who are growing up WAY
faster than I would like them too). This glitter shoot is something I had
been w...





10 comments:
Hi Amy, This has been my concern since day one. It's awful that creeps ruin everything!! I need to know how to get a tracker and how to set my blog to private. So if you get a chance can you fill me in? Thanks!!!
I'm going private too...I'll send you an invite. I'd love to keep reading yours too...
lindseyandrick@hotmail.com
Thanks for the tips!!
Lindsey J
wow..so scary.that's why my blog is private..i recommend it!..my e-mail: danaedean@hotmail.com
I put a tracker on mine...so far nothing too scary...but worh checking out. OUr email is dandadelong@yahoo.com. Maybe I should consider this too.
Amy, I seem to have caused a big ruckus. You are my 7th friend to go private. I have to admit that it is harder to check private blogs since I can't do so through my reader. My point was to make people aware, as I think you can easily still blog, but blog safely. Of course it is always entirely up to you. I will email you so you can give me access too! And, of course I don't mind that you copy and pasted... I'm flattered! (For future reference you just click on the green linky beside where you can change your font colour at the top of your post... then you type - or paste - the url you are linking to!)
Hey Amy! Thanks for the heads up. I think I've loaded the tracker correctly, but no info it seems. Maybe that is good then. I want to keep reading your blog as well so add us! anderson8258@hotmail.com
I think I'll work on going private as well. JoAnna
Wow, well said! I totally agree about the private blog. Sign me up!
omg!!!! i can't believe this! so sick.. thanks for the heads up!
very informative, thank you! I'm going to follow in your footsteps! I tried the tracker thing, but couldn't figure it out. Can you tutor me?
Thanks for adding me to your site. I have been out of the loop for a while and am gratefull that you rembember me!
Post a Comment