Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Final Fiesta

Finally! We are done! Our last birthday party was on Friday. We were a little poor after our Disneyland trip so the theme for the party was homemade fun. We made two pinatas out of old cereal boxes, decorated two cakes, played a game with buckets and sponges called, "Fill the Cup" and a hide and seek game called "find the three and five" (which were hand drawn numbers on scratch paper.) The kids didn't notice that it wasn't a state-of-the-art birthday party and we all had a great time. There were 14 kids, mostly boys. It was a lot, but all their moms and dads came too so it was kind of like an adult party as well. The kids scored on gifts as usual and have way too much. Most of the pictures are on my friend Toshia's camera which she was kind enough to offer since mine in being difficult.
Those are my pinatas behind the cake. Don't laugh now! The kids had fun making them with me. Cambria wanted to have two because she was afraid the boys would hit too hard and bust one open before she got a chance to hit(it happened once before). It worked out just fine. We decorated one with a "C" and one with a "K" and all the kids got a chance to hit. I was really glad because I wasn't sure how the cereal boxes would hold up.
As for the cakes the girls each picked out the design the wanted from our cake book and then we frosted them together. I don't know if you can tell because my camera is so crappy, but Kiera's, the pink one, has a tiara on it.

Earlier in the wee one of my fun college roommates came to visit me with her kids. She lives in MA, but her family is in Vegas. Sometimes I look at her mild mannered appearance, and find it hard to believe that she was once such a wild and crazy girl. In a fun way of course. We both have two girls and a boy. My girls had so much fun playing with Noelyn and Jaina. Kiera even wanted to go home with them.
Erin brought Arby's with her for lunch and we had a nice picnic outside.
Finally, we come to the story of Squiby. You might find yourself able to relate to a toddler who often says, "what" or "why." I find that I repeat myself over and over giving the same explanation. Do they ask "what" or "why" over and over for fun or simply because they don't understand the concept. I am not sure as to the answer of this question, but I do know that after I answer a question logically (several times in a row) and it does not satisfy, sometimes a nonsensical answer does the trick. For example, Kiera was asking me why a certain rock was in Grammy's front yard. I gave her several answers, that did not satisfy. The rock is part of the garden. The rock looks nice by the flowers. The rock was there when Grammy and Papa moved in. Rocks are found outside. None of these answers would suffice. Finally I said, "that rock is your Uncle Ryan's pet." She replied by saying, "oh, what's it's name?" I said, "Squiby, (of course)." She accepted that answer without further comment and it ended our conversation. She later told her uncle that she really liked his pet Squiby and of course he had no idea what she was talking out. After I quickly clued him in, he was happy playing along. Kiera begged to take Squiby home with us. To tell you the truth, Squiby has become my most favorite pet. He requires no care what so ever and Kiera enjoys him just the same.



Here's to you Squiby. Best Pet Ever!

8 comments:

HaYn Mama said...

Your cereal box pinatas are great! I love the idea.

Squiby is the best story ever. We have a few pet rocks in our yard that the previous owner's kids painted and left in the garden. . . I have to keep telling the boys to keep them together with their family so they don't leave 'em all over the yard and house.

Stephanie said...

I love the cereal box pinatas! I'm going to have to try that one out for Kai's b-day next month! Your cakes look really pretty, too! Is there anything that you don't do?! Cute story about the pet rock!

austin and cherisse said...

O how fun is that you are so creative! Alright we will be up to see you guys in a few weeks! Cant wait to see the two sassy pants play together

Nicole said...

Looks like you guys have had a busy month, with lost of fun, Fun, Fun! I Love Disneyland, and it sounds like you guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing.
Your girls are so cute!

Sunnie said...

that is so creative! you did a good job on the party- loving those pinatas. they were so cute. and also loving the squiby story. a pet rock is the way to go if you ask me.

Whitney said...

HI Amy! Its Whintey Morrison (Christensen) i found your blog off of tiffanys! I love the rock story! it cracked me up!

Chelsey said...

How fun to play with Erin and her kids! I'm jealous. I, also, find myself making up completely ridiculous answers to questions that have logical answers

Danielle said...

You are TOO creative! I am loving the pinata idea.