Thursday, October 1, 2009

Brrrr, it's cold outside!

It is officially official. I have desert children; children who love the sun and heat.

Yesterday morning was perfect. It had cooled to 80 degrees and the breeze in the air was actually cool instead of fiery. I opened the van doors to escort my brood to school and what do you think I hear them say?
One says, "Oh, it's s o cold!"
And another says, "Mom, you should have checked the weather so I would have known to wear a jacket!"
And I am sure if the other could speak he would say, "I need a blanket to wrap up in- it is freezing!"
(Big sigh) I thought it felt wonderful.
This morning it was even colder. It was only 74 degrees. Cambria had goose bumps.


I thought this flower in my back yard could make a good object lesson for my young women's class. It didn't survive Kai's edging and I was ready to clip it of win the spot on the stem where it broke, but then I thought I would leave it and see what happened. It had no flower on it at the time. But look at it now. Despite being broken and beaten, it decided to bloom anyway. It even has two more buds that will soon bloom as well. I though this could be a good life analogy. We all have trials. We all get beaten and bruised at times, but we can bloom anyway. We can bloom despite heart brake and despair and trial and tragedy. There is always hope.

In other news, I have a few upcoming events that I am very excited about. When I became a mother it defined me. I have loved every moment of motherhood tremendously, but I haven't really done much over the last 6-7 years that were just for me. So, I am really excited to go to Time-Out for Women (a two day conference in St. George) in November. There will be some great speakers and two musical performers and I can hardly wait to attend. I am also hoping to recruit a few family members to go with me. We have to register by October 5Th and you get a ten dollar discount if you have a group of five or more. I am so excited!

Also, I am signing up to take a two day writing seminar in October with some professor whose name I can't remember. I am so excited because I have been trying to write a novel and sometimes it is pretty hard. I also don't really know what to do after I finish the novel (if that ever happens). I want to know about getting it professionally edited and how or if to get an agent to help me submit it to different publishers. Little Brown and Co. won't even look at a manuscript unless it has been submitted by an agent. I hope to get some good ideas and get pointed in the right direction.

This is also the month of my birth and I am happy to announce that I will be 29 (again). Also a few friends and I are hoping to do a few boutiques again this year and I am just really excited to have things to look forward to.

2 comments:

Sunnie said...

mya had a soccer practice last week and we were cold at it, too. it was probably in the 70's but we felt like wrapping up in blankets. it is funny how your body adjusts. i'd probably die of hypothermia if i visited utah:) i am so ready for the heat to be done, though.

Stephanie said...

It looks like you are having some fun times! Good luck with the book editing and publishing! And have a great time and TOFW! I've been going to them for several years now and they are really refreshing. Kevin is not sold on them, he thinks it's just another sales pitch from Deseret...and while there is some truth in that, I do think it's a nice time and I'm glad he supports me in going to them with my girlfriends. :)