Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Where is love lurking . . .

Despite What Hollywood may say, I don't think on one's death bed one would pridefully pull a tally card out of their pocket about how many one night stands they may have had. Many may claim they enjoy the freedom of being a bachelor or bachelorette or the thrill of the chase, but deep down I think it is human nature to not only desire to be loved but to love something in return. Feminists may hate me, but for a man and a woman to belong to each other, to form something unbreakable and solid; to create a family that only they can claim- now that is something special. I am not saying that marriage is never hard, but when love is nourished in the bounds of matrimony magic begins to unfold.

Now where is love lurking these days and how do you find "the one?" Is it in college or a bar? At church or at a club? At the grocery store or the gym? Or could it be on the Internet . . .? Every time I open my email there is a picture in the left hand corner asking me if I want to find hot singles in my area. They must not know that I have already found "my one." Nevertheless, I have known an increasing number of people who have found their match on an Internet dating site.

My brother, Sean, is such a one. He has met his match. A blond named, Shannon. She is everything he never knew he always wanted. She completes him in away that we didn't think was possible. As their love story plays out, we are sure that marriage is on the horizon and we have an Internet dating site to thank.

Does this mean that old fashioned meet Mr. Right at a friend's party has flown out the window? No, it just means the big old world has gotten a lot smaller and your next date may be just a key stroke away.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

You really should write a book or something! :)

The Dean Family said...

seriously! you write so beautifully!! i love this post! one of my good friends found her husband on the internet..and they're doing great..have a little boy and everything:) good luck to kai!! i sure hope everything is ok with him!

Hayley said...

so poetic, amy. that's how i feel about my husband - he completes me in a way i never expected to be completed. i never though life could be this good. i love it. makes me glad i held out & waited til almost 30 to find someone. sunday is our anniversary. best year ever!

Tiffany said...

yeah, i want the book youve been writing! i know you have been because we talked about it.

its been to long amy come visit soon!!

JoAnna Anderson said...

I agree..I love the way your write! Have you ever thought of writing a book? I thank my lucky stars I've found the one....so I know where you are coming from on this post. John & I kept wishing there was more time in our trip to come see you guys. Maybe next time we'll make better plans!

Kirstie said...

i am so happy for sean!!

Judith Watkins said...

oh Amy that was beautiful. You really have a gift and thanks for sharing it. I still think of you often. We may take a trip to Vegas and would love to stop by and catch up. Miss you my friend. :-)
P.S. I'm happy for Sean too.

Angela said...

okay...awe haven't checked in on you guys for months and did we have a lot of catching up to do..Know that your family is in our prayers! Sounds like things have gotten pretty crazy for you. Wish we were in more of a position to help out! Stay Strong!!!