Tuesday, December 1, 2009

MRI

The MRI revealed "flares" in Kai's brain. The Dr. says "they are signal changes in the brain tissue suggestive of inflammation of veins or nerves." The flares occur on both sides of his brain. I saw the pictures. They look like bright spots of light.

He also said "this is strange enough to call in the big guns." I guess the pictures looked similar to MS but MS usually shows in the center of his brain and these flares were mostly around the edges of his brain (if you were looking down at his brain from the top of his head.) He threw around names of some possible diagnosis' but i would prefer not to speculate.

He has referred us to the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, AZ so that they can do a biopsy of his brain tissue.

7 comments:

The Five that Jive said...

Oh my goodness!! Wow, that's a lot to take in! You guys are welcome to stay with us if you decide to come down. We've got plenty of room and it would help ease the cost of the trip. Seriously, give me a call 801-691-4920. We're about 20-30 minutes away from Scottsdale. I'd love to help in anyway that I can. You can stay with us and I can watch the kids while you're at the Clinic, anything you need!! You guys are in my prayers, love you!!!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Well looks like that person above me took the words outta my mouth. We also live like 15 mins away from Scottsdale if you need help or babysitting or whatever. I'm glad that they are finally discovering whatever it is that Kai is struggling with and I hope you can get treatment soon. Email me if you need help.

Nicole said...

Amy and Kai, your all in our prayers and thoughts in the coming days and weeks. I wish I lived closer to you so I could give you a big hug! Thanks for keeping everyone posted!

Hayley said...

oh my! i've been praying for kai. i'll keep it up! i hope you get some definite answers soon! thanks for keeping me updated - i've been thinking about you a bunch!

Cameron. Elizabeth. Greta. Austin. said...

Amy, I am going to make a trip to the Temple next week and put Kai's name on the roll. I will pray for you guys!!

Lana said...

Kai, Amy and Family,
You are in my daily prayers. What a surprise to read about the seizures. Hopefully it will be accurately diagnosed and some medication will help. Take it a day at a time and know many of us are sending love and best wishes for a complete recovery!

Mike and Becky Kennedy said...

I know that it is so difficult for you and your family right now. Hang in there. They will find out what is wrong and they will fix it. It's like what my Dad said when Corbin had to have surgery and I was just so sad that it had come to that, he said that it is not a sad thing, at least now they can fix what is wrong and he can begin to recover. I know that Scottsdale is far away and you don't necessarily want to hear that you have to go there, but at least they can diagnose the problem and get him on the road to recovery. Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you. Love you and your family.