Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Penny For Your Thoughts

Please Comment on this Post!:)

That sounds like a desperate plea and in a way it kind of is . . . but not for the reason you may think.

I have heard so much about the H1N1 virus (the horrible flu) and about the the H1N1 immunization. I want to know what the rest of the mother's think out there. Is it safe? Will you vaccinate your child with H1N1? Tomorrow Glen Beck is having a panel of doctor's on his show. The hour will be spilt giving equal time to doctor's of opposing views. One half says- Don't get it -it's not safe, the other half says you'd be crazy not to protect yourself. So how do you know who to believe? Is it safe or isn't it?

I really want to know what other moms are deciding and their reasoning behind it. Will you please leave your thoughts in comment form? Pretty please?

14 comments:

RightHahn said...

I have struggled with this decision as well. Ultimately, I'm basing my decision NOT to vaccinate on the fact that the strain given in the vaccination itself is not necessarily the strain that might infect the general population. It's the same problem with the common flu vaccine.

And just for reference sake - I'm a huge proponent of having vaccinations. Both my boys were fully vaccinated, though we did do them on a delayed schedule.

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for handling the possibility of any of us getting sick. I think the thing to remember is that more people have gotten the flu (normal and bovine induced) and survived as of late, than those who have become ill and perished. Monitoring the fever and fluid intake seems to be the key. As soon as either seems unmanageable, then quick hospitalization is vital.

Good luck with your decision!! I hope you're able to reach it feeling well informed.

Lindsay

Tara said...

My good friend is a nurse and works in the ER. She told me that she has had 12 patients recently come in with this flu, and they are all fine. They didn't need to come in, they were just concerned. Her opinion is that it is really just a mild flu. Several kids in our ward have it as well, and they are all fine.

Your kids seem healthy, so they should be fine if they do get the flu and most likely, we will all get it.

Toshia said...

I have never had a flu shot ever. Only Abigail has had a regular flu shot out of my 3 kids and it was last year. I think I might get a regular flu shot for Abigail and myself this year BUT I don't think I will get the H1N1 shot. I am going to talk to my OB about it and then make my final decision.

Hayley said...

so i'm not a mom, but i'm a teacher. so i see kids & flu-s a plenty. in my opinion, i'm getting a flu shot this year, just to be safe. and mostly cause my husband's work is doing it for free. in the past, the few times that i've gotten the flu, i've feel more sick. i don't know if that's right or not, but it seems like it. i'm not getting the swine flu vaccination. i'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that i don't get it. but we've really stepped up the hygiene at my school. i am anxious to hear more responses, too.

Hayley said...

oh & p.s. some mom at my school, died of the swine flu in the spring.

adairfamily said...

I am just as confused as I think most people are. I think that is because of so much information overload. When I was working full time in the dental office I always got the flu shot and never got the flu, but since staying at home I have not gotten the shot, of course last year I was pregnant and the OB thought it was a bad choice being 8 months along during flu season.

I have mixed feelings about what to do with the shot this year. It seems so many people are getting sick, but recovering fine and they have not received the shots. Brooklyn has not gotten all her shots yet, so I am not sure about giving her the flu shot, I will probably wait until her check up in Nov and see what they think. We really are not around to many people during the week so I think I will just stay on top of washing all of our hands and keeping the house and her toys cleaned during the next few months.

My parents have had to have a ton of shots to go on their mission to London and they only required the flu shot not the H1N1.

Ok now that you heard more than you probably wanted what do you think? Yet another tough decision to keep your family healthy.

From The Other Side of Fifty said...

I'm not sure I can help you with a final decission but if your kids have allergies you may not want to give your child the H1N1 in the nasal mist because it is made with a live virus. People with allergies, asthma, or that have a low amune system should wait for the vacine in the shot form which will be available in a few weeks.

Sunnie said...

the swine flu has been going around like crazy here. luckily we haven't gotten it yet. as far as the cases here, no one has been too bad off. i'm just worried and don't want little cole or jada to get it (as well as the others, but the smaller ones worry me). i'm paranoid to go to church, make my kids sanitize and wash their hands like crazy, etc. it's horrible! i hate having to worry! so will we get vaccinated? i don't know enough about it. probably not because it's such a new vaccine that i am afraid. so as for now- no. but i guess who knows what will happen over the next year or so.

The Five that Jive said...

I've decided not to vaccinate my kids just because I heard a dr. say that he'd rather get the swine flu than get the regular flu. That's how mild it is! Plus, the negative side effects that I've heard you can get, are scary. I heard that if you swab your nostrils with a q-tip of salt water and gargle with salt water everynight you can rid yourself of all flu germs. Not sure if it's true, but I'm going to do it:) Good luck with your decision!

Tiffanyk10 said...

Hi Amy!
This seems to be a debate everywhere I go. I am not going to get this shot for my kids. My reasoning is that this shot is being made and distributed so fast it scares me. We don't know the side effects or the long term effects. I have known a few people that have had the swine flu and so far it has been no worse then a "regular" flu. I don't feel safe shooting my kids full of chemicals (that are grown in chicken fetusus) That scares me more then the flu (which does worry me).

Megan said...

I have a few things for you to think about. My dad is a primamry care physician so we have been discussing this topic alot. He is seeing the H1N1 in his office in children and adults like crazy righ now. He is getting positive lab results everyday. He has had a few kids hospitalized. My 14 year old cousin jsut go out of the hospital with the H1N1- she was healthy before hand. My aunt was on her way to get her from school with a fever and they got t-boned so she was in ICU, but she also had the H1n1 and they kept her in 4 days because of the flu. They are saying that the spring and summer strain werent as bad and are prediciting that the winter stain is worse. So I am guessing they made the immunizations according to that theory. The immunization is made the same way the regular flu shot is made. Even if a child is infected by a different strain it might be similar enough to reduce the symptoms so the kid doesnt end up in the hospital. I dont know- more to think about. I am going to have my kids immunized.

The Five that Jive said...

Amy, what have you decided to do? I asked some friends of mine why they had decided to get vaccinated and they got all huffy and stopped talking to me!! Really? Is it that crazy of a question to ask? I guess these days, it's leap before looking!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

I have decided not to vaccinate. I never get the flu shot and I have never given my kids the flu shot. I didn't know if I needed to make an acception this year or not but I have decided not to.

I know that there are risks in getting sick, but I just don't feel comfortable the vaccine.I don't think it is bad to ask why someone decided to get the vaccine. Who knows, the reason that made them decide to vaccinate might be something that would make you consider it. That is why I asked in the first place. I am sorry you had that experience.

This is why I decided not to:
1. I don't like thimerisol and where I live you can't get a vaccination without it

2. You have to be completely healthy to get the shot- we have all had colds for the lst two weeks

3. I just feel uncomfortable getting a vaccine for something like the flu. I know people have died from it, but I wonder what their current health situation was like in the first place. Were they relatively healthy? Were they dehydrated? Were they unable to control their fever? Were there other complications?

4. I just don't feel comfortable with the actual make up of the vaccine. 6 months is not along time to be tested. We have no idea about long term effects. In the late 1800's one military doctor used to give a spoonful of arsenic to cure malaria. If he had know what we know now- that would never had happened.

This is long and I hold no feelings of contempt for those who choose to vaccinate. I won't even think bad thoughts in my mind:). We all have our own reasons to do so and who really knows who is right. Only time will tell.