Wednesday, September 10, 2008

one, ONE, oNe, One, Where did you come from?

On September 10, 2007, a son was born.



"Time is a sort of river of passing events, and strong is its current; no sooner is a thing brought to sight than it is swept by and another takes its place . . .
--Marcus Aurelius


I can't believe that a year ago I was lying in a hospital bed admiring my newly born son. This year has flown by so fast and yet Malachi still seems like such a baby to me. He is sweet. He dances with his head (like Stevie Wonder) when he hears music, he is walking like a champ. He claps for himself. He knows the sign language for more and all done. He likes balls. He likes to push things around the house. He loves being outside. He loves to pull hair. He has a small grin that shows lots of teeth. He is still bald. His "soft spot" pulses when he breaths. He loves his big sisters and wants to be where they are and do what they do. He loves to swim. He even started going under water (on purpose) all by himself to retrieve swim rings. He loves the remote control. I wish he could stay my baby forever.

This is the first birthday party we have ever had on our own. We usually, (I usually) plan big productions and lavish celebrations. This was different, but I actually liked it. Malachi had complete and total attention on him and when he was done and ready to move on to the next thing, we did. It was really nice to forgo crowd control.
Kiera and I worked really hard on this pirate cake. I think he turned out quite well. bettycrocker.com has so many cute ideas for cakes. I do have to say that the lady in the videos makes cake decorating much easier than it really is.
Bubba wasn't sure what to do with the cake I gave him. I had to put a few dabs of frosting in his mouth before he decided it was okay to eat. (the next few pictures are a little out of order!)






Yum. Yum. Yum! We actually did presents first and cake last, but again the pictures are out of order. Bubba loved the box and the card Gigi gave him. She also gave him a snow suite and another cute outfit, but he did appreciate those as much as I did.

Loved the balloons from Gram, Papa, Uncle Sean, Uncle Chris and Uncle Ryan. As I read the card Kiera said, "Did you know Uncle Caca used to be Uncle Chris?????" Balloons were delivered as we were opening Bubba's presents. Cambria saw the delivery van (the same one that brought her her first day of school congratulatory balloons) and she said "Its a celebration van!" Cambria ran outside to accept the goods, then signed for them (so cute!) and then said as she got in the house, "This is another great day!"
Birthday on a budget! I had been saving and hiding our baby toys for over a year. When Kai got home from work I told him and the girls that they had a task to perform. They were to go out to the "club house" (our out door guest room) pick out a present for Bubba, clean it and then take it to the laundry room and wrap it. It worked out just fine. The girl's though tit was so fun to go shopping in the "club house."


Cathy (Kai's mom) took the liberty of throwing a big party for Malachi a first birthday party in conjunction with my niece Kiana's second birthday. (Perhaps that is why I didn't plan a party of my own.) He got some toys that weren't purchased from the "club house" and some really cute outfits.




I am so glad that we have Malachi in our lives. When you are pregnant and planning sometimes you worry and wonder about how your new little one will fit into your life. Then when you hold them in your arms you wonder what you would have done without them.
Happy First Birthday Malachi! We love you SO much!

14 comments:

The Casida Family- Todd, Jen, Nathan, Trevor and Madison said...

He's such a cutie Amy!

JoAnna Anderson said...

Ahhh...I love 1st birthdays! It is so crazy to think all they can accomplish in that first year of lie. Wow...time goes by so quickly!

Kimberly said...

Amy, he is such a good looking boy! What a cute pirate cake that you made! I love to make fun cakes like that too. Great idea. It looks like he had a fun day.

Kimberly

The Five that Jive said...

Soo cute!! Happy Birthday to your sweet little guy. He is so adorable. I love the cake, you are a pro! I love that you've been buying presents all year long...I've been doing that too, for christmas. I'm running out of places to hide them though..aaahh! Happy Birthday!!
Lindsey J

My Many Coloured Days said...

It feels like we were JUST both totally pregnant, reading Twilight, and dying to have our babies in our arms! Happy Birthday to your sweet little guy... he is so charming!

HaYn Mama said...

gosh time flies by too fast!!!
Happy B-day baby Kai! He is just adorable. I love the cake, it looks too good to eat.

Danielle said...

HaPpy BiRthDaY!!! I love the cake by the way!

Judith Watkins said...

Time does fly! He is adorable. Happy Birthday Malakai!
Love,
The Watkins

Chelsey said...

Love the cake!

Lauren said...

i like the recycle gift idea. the cake turned out so cute. what a lucky boy.

adairfamily said...

Amy, that cake rocks! You did an amazing job, sometimes the best parties are the small family ones. you have such a cute family.

Leah Ferguson said...

awww! I can't believe a year has gone by so fast! I remember hearing about you just being pregnant! He's so adorable!! Happy Birthday Malachi!!

The Dean Family said...

happy birthday! i cannot believe he's 1..i agree with you: it seems like yesterday he was born..he's such a cutie and it looks like he had a great birthday!

Stephanie said...

He's 1 already?! Wow! Well, he's so super cute and just looks so happy all the time. I love the cute pirate cake you and Kiera worked on...I've yet to get that creative/good. You've got skills! :) Thanks for sharing some fun things about him...I can't believe he's already diving down for rings in the pool...watch out Michael Phelps! We just wish we lived closer so we could have celebrated with you and brought him a cute orange outfit or something. :)