What a trip! I don't know how many of you have ever been able to enjoy the beauty of Yosemite. I feel like our trip could have been entitled, "How To See Yosemite Without Ever Leaving Your Car."
The reason for our fast, but scenic trip was a wedding. Kai's brother Ben, number five in the line up of ten brothers, married a sweet girl named Amanda Baeza. They had first decided to marry in Italy and then later changed the location to Yosemite.
We left Mesquite for the Vegas airport Friday afternoon. An hour after our plane took flight, we landed in Fresno, California. From there we drove our rental car for 45 minutes to and hour to a little, and I mean little town called Oakhurst. It was quaint and really played up the bear motif. Every where we looked we saw a bear carved out an old tree stump. The first hotel we stayed in was a Best Western and it was really cute. It really prepared you for the Yosemite atmosphere. Our cabin looking rooms were pushed back into a small forest-like-area.
This picture, as were many others, was taken of our hotel as we passed it in the car. Our rooms were behind it, to the left, in the trees.

This is late at night in our hotel bathroom. Kiera was not sleepy and really wanted me to be a "walrus" with her. She chose the little coffee stick stirrers that she wanted me to have, and then of course she wanted a picture. I think out of the hundreds of pictures I took of Yosemite, this is one of 4 that I am in.

This is a 2,000 year old sequoia tree, or as Kiera would say, "kakoiya". Its pretty huge.

This is one of the many carved bear statues marking the entrance to the hotels diner. Kiera was really getting into being a bear. She had to get on all fours and growl.


This is inside the diner. When you have a large family like we do its hard on the waitresses. I think they were very overwhelmed. They had a hard time getting our orders right. I don't have a picture of the whole group, but 9 of the 10 brothers are in attendance, plus wives/girlfriends, plus 5 children, 2 grandparents, one aunt and one cousin and one family friend.

Ian and Victoria's Kids, Malia and Trey, and my kids, of course.

This is right outside the little Yosemite church that Ben and Amanda got married in. There was a wedding going on when we got there and we had about 40 minutes to kill before we got ready, so we decided to go on an adventure. Which really means we climbed on a lot of rocks in the Forest. Here are a few pictures of the kids actually holding still.


This is the little church. It was like being in a sauna. It was so hot we were literally dripping sweat. On my bathroom trip with Kiera I was kind of surprised to discover that the bathroom was air conditioned. I wonder why the rest of the church wasn't.

Cambria has been a flower girl one other time. She loved it. This time however she was feeling a little pressure because someone told her that she was in charge of getting all the little girls together and leading them down the aisle. Well, this proved to be too much pressure for her. She told me, " Mom, what if I can't get them to stand in the right place. I just don't think I can do it." I of course gave her words of encouragement and told her that a big person would help her and all the really had to do was walk up to the front and then stand by me. If you can see the look on her face in this picture, you can tell that it didn't really make her feel much more confident.

The Happy couple, Ben and Amanda. If we were sweating up a storm I can't imagine how Ben felt since he was wearing a suit.


The first picture is taken of Bridal Veil falls from my car. We actually did get out of the car for about 20 minutes to hike to the viewpoint. It really was quite pretty.


From the top left, Cousin Robby, Mike, baby Kiana (mike's 18 month old) Ke'ala (holding Kiana), Sonny (cupping his ear) Ian flexing, Malia below Ian, Little Trey, bottom row, Candy (Keala's wife, Cathy, Joy (Joey's wife), Me and Cambria. Kiera and Malachi were sleeping in the car. Kai stayed behind, but He and Kiera ran up to see the waterfall before we left.

Cambria on another adventure. She would climb around those rocks all day if I let her.

This was a scenic view of Half dome. Unfortunately Malia's head is right in the way of the view.

Can you tell how big the base of that tree is?!! It is massive. I was very impressed but apparently there is a tour that takes you farther into the Forest to see even bigger trees. To think of a tree that has been around for 2000 years is kind of magical. They have been around for so much history. If they could talk, imagine the stories they could tell.
This of course is Kai, the kids and his Mom and Dad. The kids were tired of smiling so I told them I would get them a big old ice cream if they would smile really big for a few more pictures. Kiera really wanted an ice cream.
7 comments:
looovee the pics. the kids look like they had a super awesome time! i'm jealous cause i'm in desperate need of a vacation! hey i got your comment and ur not meddling at all! i guess the doc told me to do it cause he was eating every 1hr and half to 2 hours. (isn't that nuts i go maybe an hr of sleep tops! anyways do you have any advice for what i could do other than cereal to keep him sleeping?
Looks like you had a blast in Yosemite. The girls keep asking when they can go to St George and play with your girls again.
Sounds like a fun trip and wedding! I love the big trees! We've never done Yosemite, hopefully we can go there someday. It reminds me a little of Yellowstone. Ben and his bride look so perfect. How are Keala and Candy doing? I hope they are doing well. Thanks for the fun pictures and great update. You have a beautiful family. PS...good thing the bathroom was with a/c, hot and stinky bathrooms are gross. :)
Loved the pictures!! We love Yosemite! Our family camps there every year...unfortunately we did not make it this year! Hopefully you guys will make it back soon.
fun trip. i love all the pics, especially the walrus one. that is great. that is a tiny church to get married in. glad it was fun for the kids. mine would probably like all that fun nature stuff, too.
Looks like a fabulous trip! You look great Amy - and I loved seeing a family shot! I showed Greg and he said "they haven't changed at all" - definately a compliment!!! I keep forgetting to check your blog since you went private and I can't access you through my reader...but your comment on my blog reminded me!!! You look happy.
Wow! This takes me back to my childhood. My family visited when the tree with the drive through hole was still standing. We also hand fed deer next to our car. That was too long ago. We need to go now. Thanks for giving me the craving for more Yosemite. Love you, Sherrie
Post a Comment