Saturday, September 15, 2007

Birth Story


To tell you the truth, I have no complaints. Everything went so well. I had a doctors apt. at 8:50 am on Monday, September 10. So I went. I was hoping to be induced as previously discussed with my doctor, but my hopes were low after my previous "false alarm". Nevertheless, I packed a bag for good luck. Much to my delight, the doctor said it was time and sent me over to the hospital. My mom had come three days earlier "just in case" so she was able to stay with the girls. I called Kai and he met me at the hospital. They gave me penicillin and pitocin and Malachi was born 7 hours later.


When I gave birth to Kiera, I thought I was going to die. I actually blacked out and wasn't aware of much of anything but the pain. This delivery was much different. It hurt don't get me wrong. But it was so much easier than Kiera's birth. I only pushed for about 10 minutes. I do remember asking if "it was working", you know the pushing part. It seemed like his head was staying in the same spot causing a lot of pain. The nurse assured me it was indeed working. My doctor was debating out loud as to whether or not to do an episiotomy. He really didn't want to. But after what seems like hours of debate, Kai says I yelled, "just get him out!" You know you push so far and it feels like they could just grab the head and have the baby out in a little tug. I know that isn't the case, but that is what it feels like. So I did get an episiotomy and he came out on the next push. He is the first of my children I have ever been able to hold immediately after his birth. The nurse placed him on my belly while she cleaned him and even now my eyes fill with tears as I think about the miracle of birth and my newborn son.


Isn't it amazing how fast you can fall in love with your child. When I think how Heavenly Father has blessed me, blessed my family, I feel so incredibly indebted to Him. There really is no way to ever repay God for the miracles he sends into our lives. I guess, accept through obedience.

7 comments:

HaYn Mama said...

You are a champion. It sounds like you don't get epiderals. I'm all about medicating. I'm so glad you had a great experience. Congratulations again!!!

Sunnie said...

i'm so glad everything went really well. you sound braver than i do- do you have natural child births? i'm all about the epidural. i got a little taste this go around when it wasn't working like it should and am impressed that anyone can do that the whole time. anyways, congrats again. i'm so happy for you!

Amy said...

I also am all about medicating but my last two epidurals didn't work. I really am not that brave!

Danielle said...

Okay, I am crying now.

hawaiianstyle12 said...

Well Amy this is Koke and I don't do epiderals, but I take Tylenol and Nyquil depending on the symptoms. Congratulations! You guys are very blessed indeed, and it's nice to hear someone that really understands, and that doesn't take this miracle for granted. I pray that Kim and I will 3 boys and 1 girl someday. Good stuff! Tell my little Nieces hello.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Amy- I want to hug you and tell you how heroic you are! Isn't motherhood joyous! That after birth moment is priceless can never truly be forgotten nor entirely felt/remembered! I'm so happy for you!

Sherrie said...

Amy, I can't stop the tears from flowing. You have such a sweet spirit. Thank you for your testimony. I'm so glad it went well for you. Love, Sherrie