Friday, September 7, 2007

False Alarm:(

I have been having contraction since I was 20 weeks along. Not painless Braxton Hicks, but the kind that you have to take a few breaths to get through. So When I came home from Walmart on Labor Day, I was surprised that my contractions were coming in 5 minute intervals at 37 weeks. I went about my business but started to keep an eye on the clock. Two hours later after consistent but somewhat weak contractions, they began to be 3-4minutes. A friend advised me that I should probably go to the ER just to check. So I did, fully expecting to be sent home. I drove myself with the only supplies that I could think to bring at the time since my bag was not packed: a pair of socks. They admitted me and my doctor came to see what was happening. He said I was 80% effaced, 2 cm dilated and at zero station. The contractions, of course were not as regular as they had been at my house, but he said they might as well keep me and "get things going."
They strapped me to an IV of fluids and drew my blood, then sent me to the Labor and delivery room where they attached a collection of monitors, a blood pressure cuff, and got me started on my first round of penicillin (because of GBS). So you can imagine my surprise when I initially thought I was going to quickly be sent home. I called Kai and told him that they were going to keep me and asked him to bring a few things when he came. I then called my mother and told her that the baby would soon make his appearance, so she bought a plane ticket for 6AM the next morning.
A nurse named, Bev, came in and told me that after they got the second round of penicillin going through my system they would break my water and then start me on "pit" if that didn't work. I suddenly got scared for the delivery. I really am not fond of pain and Kiera's painfully traumatic delivery lingered in my mind. Plus the IV that was in my arm really hurt.
Kai showed up at the hospital and gave me a blessing and then we decided we better get serious about names. My contractions had pretty much stopped. They were very infrequent and very far a part. We had been at the hospital for about 4 hours when the nurse came in checked the monitors and told me that 37 weeks was still a little bit early to enhance a labor and since the contractions had stopped they were going to let me go home. I wish they would have said that when I firt arrived. Who wants to be stuck with a needle for NOTHING! You can imagine my disappointment. I felt bad that my mom had bought a plane ticket. I felt bad that Kai's mom had driven a half hour to our house to stay over night with the girls. I felt bad that I was going to have to be stuck with another IV needle SOON and have my blood redrawn, SOON.
I wish the stork really was the who "delivered" babies. Wouldn't that make life easy. No getting sick, no getting fat, plenty of energy to chase around your other kids. Now I am even more scared to go back to hospital and push this kid out. My mom said she had a dream that she agreed to go through labor for me. If only . . .

9 comments:

My Many Coloured Days said...

AMY!!! I completely feel for you... I had a VERY similar experience and I know how horrible it is to be sent home empty-handed. I know you'll have a better experience the next time you visit the hospital... good luck with it all, and you will be in my prayers! LOVIN' YA!

Danielle said...

Oh!!! I have been thinking about you all week, but I guess to no avail. That sucks. It will make your bouncing boy's arrival even more exciting though!

The Dean Family said...

oh amy you poor thing..how crappy!! & i feel so sorry for your mom purchasing the plane ticket..things will happen soon though..let us know when your little one arrives..the pain is horrible but just think how happy you'll be when you see him!

Shauna said...

AH. . .that is a big bummer. Hopefully deliver day will arrive soon and will run smoothly. Good luck! ;)

Chelsey said...

He's already being difficult and stubborn I see. Typical boy!

Nicole said...

Oh My...what a let down to be at the threshold and then kicked out, told to come back later. I went though that at least three times with Kasen, then couldn't handle the false alarms and asked to be induced one week early. My poor mom took the hour drive more then three times... :)

Sunnie said...

i've been wondering about you. i'm so sorry about the false alarm. i can't believe they let it go that far before calling it off. that is no good! hang in there- keep us updated. i can't wait til he gets here for reals!

HaYn Mama said...

I am right there with you and how you feel. I had a similar experience with my third too except we took the kids with us to the hospital and called my father in-law to get him ready to drive 2 hours to come get the boys. What fun the third child is!!!!

Kami said...

HEY AMY! IT'S ME KAMI FROM GOOD OLE HAWAII DAYS THERE AT TVA! I WAS JUST CHECKING OUT ANOTHER FELLOW HAWAII FRIENDS BLOG AND SAW YOURS THERE. I HAD TO WRITE AND TELL YA YOUR FAMILY IS SO CUTE! I ALSO WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT BECAUSE OF YOUR HUSBAND WE ENDED UP NAMING OUR FIRST CHILD KAI-I WAS PREGNANT WITH HIM THERE IN HAWAII. YOU CAN CHECK OUR OUR BLOG I JUST STARTED AT rajaratnamrecount.blogspot.com
TO SEE PICS OF MY 3 BOYS! STILL HOPING THERE IS MAYBE A GIRL TO COME IN THE FUTURE. WELL KEEP IN TOUCH AND ALOHA.
KAMI RAJARATNAM