Sunday, July 1, 2007

California : Surf, Shingles and weird thumbs!

Cambria made lots of sand castles!

Kiera went boogie boarding for the first time!

Cambria took time out for a snack after she wiped out boogie boarding.


Kiera loves to swing on Grammie's tree swing! Everyone calls her little Jill.


We miss the beach!




Wow, I don't really know where to start. We have been home from California fro two weeks now, and I am still tired. Well, our trip started out great. Kai went surfing just about eveydayand saw varios forms of sea life, dolphins, manaray, squid and a baby shark. We also went to Chuck E. Cheese's, the La Habra children's museum, lots of parks, and we saw lots of family. It was difficult to fit everything in because I needed a two hour daily nap just as much as the girls did. We got to see Uncle Caca for the first time since he has been to college and we convinced uncle Ryan and Uncle Sean to go swimming with us once or twice. My sweet mama even through a last minute baby shower for me. All of my greatest high school buddies were there, Jenny Barnes Sneddon came too and lots of other dear family memebers. It was so special!
The difficulty came in the end of our trip (sorry Jake, this is why I didn't call). Kai began not feeling well. We just thought he was tired, but by the next day he had a fever of 102.2 degrees. He had developed all these red spots on his torso and they were so painful he could barely lift his arms. After a little nugde from the old mother-in-law, he went to see the urgent care doctor who diagnosed him with shingles. He was given a perscription and was sent to bed.
Then the night of my baby shower, we were convinced that Kiera had somehow broken her thumb. It was bent crooked and I couldn't starighten it out nd it made this gross clicking noise. Kai wanted to wait till we got home to see our own doctor to mend it. We ended up taking her to a hand specialist in St. George who told us that it wasn't broken or dislocated. He said it was in fact a congenital disorder called congenital trigger finger and that she would need surgery to correct it when she is three. Until then it will continue to be bent and crooked and make that gross clicking feeling. Ewwww! Somehow Cambria and I managed to stay well and I am very happy about that.
Now here we are, back in 'ol Mesquite where the temp has been hitting 113 degrees. We are well and hoping that we have a little less adventure for the rest of the summer. We are also hoping that baby brother doesn't decide to make an appearance to soon. He must be anxious though because I have already dropped and his head is in position. I still have 11 weeks to go and while I would love to give birth early, I surely don't want a baby who has to stay in the ICU. Life is never dull with kids!




6 comments:

Sunnie said...

i'm so jealous of the california trip. i would love to go to the beach! i'm sorry about the thumb- my mom was telling me about that the other night but we didn't quite understand what grandma has said. i don't think i have ever heard of the trigger finger thing before. hopefully you keep feeling good and the baby stays inside for a little longer. having a nicu baby wouldn't be too fun.

Danielle said...

Sounds like your trip was an adventure to say the least! I will send that stuff asap. We are leaving for Hawaii on Friday so tell the little guy to stay put for a few weeks! Remember my friend Jessica that stayed at the animal house? She just had a baby 8 weeks early! But, they were all able to go home safe and sound. Be careful!!!

Jacob Oliver Ellingson said...

Shingles are a nightmare. Since I've never been to Mesquite, I'll just have to wait until you guys come back out. Tell your daughter that there is nothing wrong with having odd fingers, I grew up with them and they are a great conversation starter.

Nicole said...

I feel for you, Ket got the Shingles when we moved back to the mainland, he was stressed about finding a job. I heard that they are caused from stress, or that is one cause... I love the pictures, but where are you at? Your girls are just jewels. Have you decied on a name yet? Looking at the beach sure made me homesick! Tell Kai to get well soon, and take it easy and don't let that baby come early! LOL

My Many Coloured Days said...

I was wondering when you would be updating! You guys have been busy! I'm glad amidst the trials you were able to enjoy such fun family and beach times. I'm with you on the family adventures - it seems like there is always something to worry about! Here's to baby's not coming more than 2 weeks early!

Judith Watkins said...

Wish we could have been there. We really miss you guys. Tiffany said she would throw us a party when we move back to Ca.