Sunday, October 17, 2010

It is too darn hot to be October!

The sweat was still dripping from our bodies this last week. Hopefully the predicted rain will actually fall this week and leave us feeling refreshed and "fall-ish."

My daughters and I have joined the ranks of the Mesquitions who have a pink strand of hair dangling from the heads for October's Breast Cancer Awareness month. Shereen's Beauty Salon on Mesquite Blvd welcomes customers with a sign that says "Fight like a girl!" $5 dollars gets you pink and the money goes to Breast Cancer Research. As of Friday night this tiny salon had raised over $3000.


Raia's hair was too short to get "pinked" but she let us know that we had her full support.

We tried something new this week. If you are a vegetarian it might be best to overlook the next few sentences. Our friend went Elk Hunting and wouldn't you know, he got one. Kai helped him butcher the meat. As a show of thanks, Kai got to come home with some meat. I have really only ever cooked your regular run of the mill farm animals: pig, cow, chicken. So Elk was new for me. I threw it in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes. I don't think I'll do that again.

Cambria wanted to pose for this picture, but that is about as close to the elk meat she actually got. It wasn't that bad, I think I just cooked it a little too long. You could taste the possibility of "yumminess" in each bite.



The girls started dance again. Poor little Bubba, he is surrounded by sisters. Look how happy he is playing dance!
Bubba is also dabbling in photography. He takes pictures just like my great grandma did. It must be in the genes!
Hope you have a nice week! My birthday is on Saturday by the way:) I'll be 29 . . . again

7 comments:

Toshia said...

Good try on the Elk! I have heard it has to be cooked just right to taste good.

I have been thinking about you all week and wishing I could be in Mesquite so we could have a birthday party for you! Happy Early Birthday!!!

We have hit a couple of bumps in the road so I am not sure if we will be there Wed. I will call you soon!!

HaYn Mama said...

Happy Birthday!!!

MMmmmmm I super love Elk... elk stew... elk steaks... elk jerky... gosh my mouth is watering.

The Pink is so dang cute and baby is so gorgeous... I love how the youngest child usually looks like all of the older kids combined.

Hope you have a beautiful week before and after you birthday :)

Sunnie said...

love the boy in the tutu! i'm sure we will have that going on around here soon. he already likes the dress up crown! and happy b-day. 29- guess you and i are the same age now:)

Betsy said...

LOL Bubba in a tutu...save that for his wedding video! :)

Stephanie said...

Happy early birthday, Amy. Our birthday's are close...mine's the 30th. :) If I were 29 (again) that makes it look like I had Brayden when I was 18, and I think that's messed up.

You should try elk steak sometime, I really like it. Love all the pics of your kids, they are beautiful. Love the pink hair, too. :)

Toshia said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Thanks for letting us invade your house last night! It was great seeing you!

Kirstie said...

happy birthday amy!!! hope you had a great day!!