Mrs. Ohama. She was my favorite elementary school teacher. I'll bet you remember yours too. I bet you also remember your least favorite teacher- I won't write that name down:). I had Mrs. Ohama for two years straight. Second and Third grade. In my memory she is tall, but then again I was very small. She was a slender Japanese woman with short black hair and dark eyes. She was what I considered to be old, but ageless at the same time. Even at my tender age I remember being astonished by her lack of wrinkles, I thought of her as pretty.
I was a thumb sucker. Seems funny to think about now, but I was really quite old when I stopped. I was teases mercilessly by friends and family alike until I hid my thumb sucking habit like a dirty little secret.
One day, before my habit went underground, a classmate was teasing me about it. I was feeling hurt and humiliated. Mrs. Ohama stood by our seats to see what was the matter. My classmate told her in a sing song voice that "Amy C. sucks her thumb!" I thought Mrs. Ohama would scold me for doing something that only a baby should do. Instead she said "I don't care if she sucks all of her fingers and her toes, we do not make fun of people." I was relieved and her already high status was elevated in my eyes.

It is that time of year again . . .teachers spend so much time with our children. They shape their lives just as much as we do. I now have two in school. Kiera, pictures above, started kindergarten this year. She is the tallest in her class. On the first day of school she was so excited and so very, very nervous. She wouldn't even speak as we got in the car and then as I walked her to class. For those of you who know my little chatterbox, Kiera and speechless and usually two words that are in the same sentence. You can read the emotion on her face can't you?:)
Cambria, the blurry picture below:( has not loved school since kindergarten. When some children would cry as their parents left them at school, Cambria would cry when I'd try to pry her away from her kindergarten teacher- try that on your self-esteem! Hopefully she'll like school better now that she is in second grade.

The flower store sent a special delivery from Grammy to the two little school girls. When Cambria ran out to greet the delivery van I heard her say "Oh, this is the best day ever!"

Now it is just Bubba, Raia and I at home. I'll show you more pictures of Bubba that show how he is coping with the boredom of having his sisters gone all day.
and P.S. Bubba was "woo" free for three months, then one day he came out of his room with a grin from ear to ear yelling "I found my woo! I found my woo!" Darn! We though they were all lost and gone forever!
1 comment:
I love the picture of Bubba and Raia.
I hope Cambria has a great time in 2nd grade and Kiera loves Kindergarten!
Savannah made a "miss you" card for Kiera! I need to email you and get your address so I can mail it. I know where you live but I can't remember the street address! :)
Post a Comment