Sunday, March 21, 2010

Racial Identitiy Confusion

Me: Cambria, I need you to help me clean up this room.
C: Nope, thanks to Abraham Lincoln, I don't have to be a servant.
Me: Uh . . . only black people were slaves in those days.
C: I'm black.
me: No, you're not.
C: Look at my skin, it's blackish whitish.
me: You're Hawaiian and . . .
C: (cuts me off) Well, anyway, if it wasn't for Abraham Lincoln, I wouldn't get to be in the same class as my friend, Rainee. And here I am!
Our family and skins of many colors:

I did a fun little photo shoot with Baby Donovan. He is the son of my sweet friend Toshia. He was so goo- slept the whole time.
I wish I was as good as the girl on Peekaboo photos. She is my hero.
Look here to see a few more:

6 comments:

Leah Ferguson said...

Gosh I can now officially catch up better with your blog since I realized it's no longer private! COngratulations on another girl!! So much fun! Gosh your girls are getting so big and cute! And Katie at peekaboo is does some amazing work but your photos are looking great Amy!!

I have a website that I want to tell you about but don't have your email anymore! I'm pretty sure you'd love it so pleaseeee email me!

Unknown said...

Too funny, you guys are awesome. Thank goodness for Honest Abe!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Okay this is really funny to me because my sister's kids have this problem too! Their dad is black so they are obviously black, but their skin colors are a little different from each other, one is darker (the one who reminds me of Cambria) and she definitely knows she's black and the other is a little lighter and doesn't think she's black, she calls herself 'tan.' So funny!

Tiffany said...

hahahah! that is hilarious

The Stevens Family said...

Haha that's too funny! I saw the pics you took of Donovan and they turned out so cute! You should give yourself more credit, you really do have a talent there ;)

JoAnna Anderson said...

This was funny... I loved that she cut you off to still finish her point! What a cute family you guys are.