Friday, December 18, 2009

Meet Ginormica, the Conifer

Upon entering our humble abode one might be forced to stifle a chuckle or disguise the look of surprise in one's eye at the sheer sight of our Christmas tree. It's mass no doubt is out of proportion with our small living room and thankfully we have vaulted ceiling to adjust for the tree's height of almost 9 feet. It is not so much the height that is astounding. Many people have trees that are much taller. In our case it is the width that adds to the overall presence of our beautiful evergreen. From left to right it is almost 6 feet across ( I measured.) The tree easily takes up a forth of our living room making it quite cozy indeed. (the pictures really just don't do it justice.)
We have enjoyed having our beautiful forest tree decorated and watching it twinkle with festive lights and the squirrel family that finds refuge in it's thick branches have finally provided pets for my children. We really do love it and are thankful to Amanda and Matt for bringing it to our home.
Here's to you Ginormica- Merry Christmas!
When we visit my family for Christmas my Grandma usually invites us to her house to decorate gingerbread houses. We love doing this and we love spending time with her. When she heard we would be unable to visit this year because of Kai's medical issues and doctor's appointments she decided to send the activity to us. This year it was gingerbread men. It was so wonderful to do because the tension in our house had been so high and the kids really needed something fun and messy to do. Thank you Grandma- this was exactly the kind of thing my kids needed. even Malachi got it on the action.

Some dear friend's that we made in Hawaii Fedexed Kai some ice cream for his birthday. I already told you that story. What I didn't tell you was that they used dry ice to keep the ice cream nice and cold for the long journey between Ohio and Nevada.
Dry ice is a wonderful toy.
Finally, Kai's brother Ben and Amanda brought Kai a nice yummy cake for his birthday. It is his favorite and it was very nice. Now only one thing is left unfulfilled. Every year since Cambria was born we have given a snow globe to Kai for his birthday. He loves them and it has been a fun tradition. The only problem is this year that has yet to be done. I haven't been able to find any worth buying at the small selection of stores we have in our area. If any one has seen a good snow globe- let me know where you saw it so I can get one for Kai for Christmas. Target, Costco, a Hallmark store? There has got to be a good one out there somewhere!


As I mentioned before . . . Kai's spinal tap is scheduled for Tuesday morning. I hope we will finally have answers.

6 comments:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Wow that is a serious tree! It's so fun though to have real trees, we always had them growing up but Aaron is allergic so bu-bye (although I like the convenience of artificial trees too.) I'm glad that so many people have been helping you guys out during this hard time and I hope you have a great Christmas anyway!

Sunnie said...

giant tree! that dry ice looks fun. we'll be thinking about you this week. i sent you something in the mail on thursday. let me know when you get it!

Judith Watkins said...

The tree is stupendous! I wish I could see it with my own eyes . Hoping for the best on Tuesday.

The Five that Jive said...

Wow, I love ginormous tree!! So beautiful! What cool treats you've been receiving! Hope it was a good birthday Josh, as good as can be expected at least. Good luck on Tuesday, we're anxiously awaiting some kind of answer!

Unknown said...

This is Stephanie. :) That was so nice of your Grandparents to send the gingerbread stuff to your home. Decorating with candy is the best! We're glad that the kids could enjoy the dry ice, too. Our kids love dry ice. Kevin uses it to make root beer and so we get a load of it every so often. We hope that Kai's spinal tap goes smoothly and that you are closer to finding some answers. We'll keep you and your family in our prayers. We love you.

HaYn Mama said...

OMG... I haven't read your blog forever!!! I've been dreaming a ton about you guys and hello now I know why! I wish I would listen to prompting more closely. I'm so glad that Kai's spinal tap went well and I pray that you guys find out the problem soon and that it will be something he will recover from. It's so nice to know that you guys are having happy moments in between the hard stuff!!!

I was at target last week and I did see some super cute snow globes there. Gosh if I had only paid attention to those promptings and checked your blog earlier I would have bought one and sent it to you so you don't have to worry about shopping in the midst of your many appointments.

May the Lord bless and take care of your family continually!!!
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana!!!!!