Friday, November 6, 2009

Unprepared

I was quickly approaching the end of my rope. I had already turned off my emotions in order to think rationally and calmly, but I wouldn't be able to hold for much longer. Malachi's hands are red and largely swollen and the two different doctors I had just spent and hour and a half with were medically stumped. They had no diagnosis. Malachi is in misery. He is unable to grasp a spoon or hold a bottle and to top it all off we lost his woo (pacifier) last night and he could really benefit from it's comfort right now.

I had gone to Walmart to buy a new woo, and to get some more Slimfast. I headed to the 20 items or less express lane with my four year old sitting so nicely in the basket of the shopping cart and my two year old in my arms resting his head on my shoulder and crying softly. I waited in line patiently for someone to check out who had way more than 20 items, my total came to $11.03. I slid my credit card. It was declined. Whoops. I wrote a check. It was declined (I had expected the credit card failure but not the check.) I stood helpless and embarrassed trying to sift through my mind as quickly as possible for options. I had decided I would just come back with cash. I hadn't realized it before though I had made small talk with him, but an angel was in line directly behind me. Of course he was in disguise. He wouldn't openly flaunt his angelic likeness. Instead he wore a faded baseball cap over his graying hair and a red t-shirt. His face was kind. His tone was gentle. He asked the cashier how much it was. He said he'd just pay for it too. I quickly declined letting him know that I would return shortly with cash to pay. The cashier told me "There really are nice people." I could have handled more bad news or disappointment, but what I was not prepared for was kindness. My eyes began to swim as I thanked him. He said he had four daughters and sometimes things just happen.

I wrote a check out to him. In the section labeled for: I wrote "being my hero." How do you repay an angel. You can't really unless you pay it forward.

If you know a Frank Larsen, give him a hug for me. His kindness came at a time when it was least expected. He paid for a stranger and he will never know how it touched my heart. Tonight his name will hang on a leaf cut out of construction paper. I will tape it to a picture of a tree we cut out and hung on our wall. It is our Tree of Thanks. Each night after dinner we hang a leaf with something we are thankful for. Tonight I will hang his name. Frank Larsen.

1 comment:

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

I'm so glad that he came along and helped you. What a horrible time you seem to be having! I am so sorry for little Bubba and his poor little hands, I would be heartbroken to see Will have that condition. I hope you can figure it out. It's really those little miraculous moments in life that make you feel like God is watching out for you.