Sunday, September 6, 2009

The week in review

i don't know what kind of news I could write to make people interested enough to comment on my blog but it is surely interesting to me that I have lost some weight!!! My pants sag right off of my waist now. I have been running 3times a week since May and it has been hard to tell if any weight has been falling off. I could tell that my legs were getting back into shape and that I was feeling more fit, but the numbers on the scale only dropped by a few little pounds that I didn't feel was very reflective of all the work I was putting in. Finally last night I put these pants on and realized that even if the numbers don't way what I thin or want them to say, something good is finally happening!


The blond missionary in this picture is Elder Hanson. We have known him his whole mission-he has been here through at least two transfers but maybe even three. He is somewhat shy and reminds me of my brother Chris who is also serving a mission. Elder Hanson helped demo our bathroom when we were going to put new tile in. (I'll post a picture of that when it is all painted.)
Cambria thinks he is really cute and I suggested that we call him Elder Handsome. She was mortified at the thought of me ever mentioning such a thing. Elder Koontz is his companion- we like him too and he is still here in our area.
Kai wanted me to take this picture of our little beloved. Soon it will happen and their is no way for me to stop it. This week our little baby will turn two which means he will no longer be our little baby but a full fledged toddler. . . time flies on the swiftest of wings.



I found this picture in a photo album that my grandma has. The bride and groom are John and Libbie Ferguson, the aunt and Uncle we just had such a great time with in Utah. My mom is the red head on the left. It is fun to see a picture like this of all my aunts.

Kai has been having quite an interesting time at the High School where he teaches . One of the classes that he has to sit through with his sped student has been teaching about evolution vs. creationism. On the black board notes that the students were supposed to copy said creationism was a theory based of faith that has no scientific proof to support it. Evolution included notes that said scientifically proven. Kai was quite upset at these notes but didn't feel like he could say anything in front of the students to directly contradict the teacher. After what seemed like an eternity a student raised his hand and asked "How has evolution been scientifically proven?" To which the teacher stammered and finally admitted, "Well, I guess it is really just a theory . . ."
Wow- do you know what your kids are being taught?
The next day was teaching about how we evolved from apes. The same students asked "if we evolved from apes, then why aren't apes still evolving into humans?" Good question right? The teacher then had to explain that once again it was just a theory. Good thing that student spoke up. It is amazing what liberties teachers can take these days. He was presenting theory as fact. Pretty scary. It makes me remember that I need to be involved in my kids education and know what they are learning everyday.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

That picture of your Aunt and Uncle getting married is really cool, especially that your mom is in it. :)
Funny about the teacher trying to teach evolution...because it is "the evolution theory". That student asking about the apes though is on it, good for them!

Toshia said...

Congrats on your pants not fitting! Sounds like you need a shopping trip!!

I love that picture of Malachi. They do grow up way too fast!!

Fritters said...

woow hoo! you go girl! great job skinny minnie! =) love that 70s pic! haha. great.

Danielle said...

Good job Amy! When I first glanced at that picture I thought it was once of your little girls. That's gotta count for something, right?! =)

Megan said...

you are a hot mama! So you can run St george next year with me heh??? Brad and I were going to run it this year, but our summer got to crazy and hot and training just didnt happen so I am sad to report that we are not running. But Brad is for sure doing St Goerge Ironman in May so we will get to see the Davis family for sure in May!

adairfamily said...

Super Jealous Amy, love the saggy pants! Remember it is not about the pounds anymore it is the inches that count. SO 3 days a week huh, I have been telling myself I need to get up early and run,but never do. It's only going to get colder and harder to run here soon if I don't start. Good job you deserve a hug!

Nicole said...

way to go, I have started walking, every morning... I will make it to running! I love the picture of your little boy, he is so cute and I have to ask, what is he looking at?

Amy said...

Thanks for all the Kudos on the weight loss! I started out walking too (for a month maybe) and worked myslef into a run. At first I would make myself run for just 5 minutes, then it went to ten, then it went to a mile, etc. You all can do it!!!! I still have a long way to go, but it sure feels good to know that I am doing something to work towards a goal. Thanks for the virtual hug Shan!:)

And Nicole, Malachi is watching something on TV. He never watches tv- nothing interests him. So this was a rare moment indeed.

Kirstie said...

i love that picture at aunt libbie's wedding! aunt suzie's hair is so dark and aunt lisa looks so young! but still, they all look the same!

HaYn Mama said...

Gosh I hope my kids are like that one kid and speaks up in class if things don't make sense...

What an amazing achievement for you to have saggy pants... did you ever think when we were freshmen in college that you'd be so excited to have saggy pants... LOL! You are my inspiration for after I have this baby. I'm so excited to walk my way into a run and have my pants sag, seriously!!!!

And your little man is just a doll... did he put his hat on backwards by himself? And I just love little kid crushes it's so adorable when they get all embarrassed.

Thanks so much for you comment on my blog. Having a friend like you helps me get through the toughest of trials!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Hip hip hurray for baggy jeans!!! Good job Amy - you were always able to make and keep fitness goals!!!

Hayley said...

ok, you're inspiring me. i don't know that i will ever be a runner, but i am trying to be more active... maybe i could handle running on the treadmill!!! (in privacy)

and malachi is absolutely adorable. i wanna kiss on him.