Thursday, October 18, 2007

Breast Cancer


Did you know that 1 in 8 women have a lifetime chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer. If that is not a sobering fact, then I don't know what is. Unfortunately this number hits close to home for me because two of my aunts were diagnosed with breast cancer. My Aunt Susie battled the disease for many years before it claimed her life just a few short years ago. Since this is breast cancer awareness month I thought I would share some things that I just read with you:
Good news: there are ways to lower your odds of getting breast cancer!
1. Keep moving! All you need is three to four hours a week of exercise. The more vigorous the better.
2. Drink Less. Studies are now showing that even one glass of wine or beer a day can increase breast cancer risks by 10%. (way to go word of wisdom!)
3. Watch your weight. Weight gain is linked to breast cancer rates. If you can't loose weight then try not to gain anymore (especially after menopause)
4. Replace hormones carefully. Hormone replacement therapy that contains estrogen AND protesting increase breast cancer risk by 24%.
5. Test your genes. If you have a strong family history of Breast cancer, talk to your doctor about genetic counseling and testing.
6. Get a mammogram. Staring at age 40 (or younger if your history is strong.)
There are also a lot of companies that are supporting breast cancer research in one way or another. I have some of the items in the picture above. KitchenAid. New Balance, TIC TAC, Tomboy Tools, Jello, Cool whip, Yoplait, etc. The moral of the story is: go pink. Support a good cause and most of all take care of yourself.

4 comments:

Sunnie said...

i feel like we especially should be very aware of this issue. thanks for the good post. hope you are doing great!

HaYn Mama said...

Thank you for the insight. You've given me a better reason to work out!
alohanui!

Danielle said...

Good info Amy! I get more worried about this the older I get. So scary...

Sherrie said...

Thanks for the heads up. My sister, Suzie, has breast cancer (along with three other kinds), which she has been battling with chemo since January, 2004. She also sees an herbologist. She contracted a virus which was spread by the rats she helped to eradicate from her vacation home on the Colorado River. I guess I'm telling you all this because I want you to be aware that cancer can be spread in many ways. Please get checked regularly.
Love, Sherrie