Thursday, April 28, 2011

Take Me Back to the Kine . . .

So now I can get back to documenting my wonderful family trip to Hawaii . . . ah, I love my former island home. We spent one of our days surfing at Kahana Valley. The water is the color of chocolate milk, but the bottom of the ocean is soft and sandy and the waves are small and rolly enough to teach keiki (children) how to surf.

I grew up in a house full of brothers and always longed for the companionship of a sister. So many of my dreams are fulfilled in my two eldest daughters. This picture was so funny. I wish I had it on video. This is the background behind the picture :

Chris and Sarah were out passed the breaking waves floating on a surfboard chit chatting. Cambria could make it passed the breaking waves but Kiera could not. Cambria offered to help her little sister make it out to Chris and Sarah by carrying her on her back.

Kiera jumped on Cambria's back and cambria buckled under her weight.

I think Kiera is only 10 pounds less than Cambria. They tried two other times and each time fell to the sand laughing before trying again. Finally they gave up and I packed Kiera on my back to Chris and Sarah. It was such an endearing moment.



Uncle Chris provided great entertainment for the kids. He drew a gigantic maze with a fallen branch on the moist sand. The kids played with the maze over and over again.


Kahana Valley was also a great place to teach Sarah to surf. She had a bum shoulder so Chris sat behind her in the water and would push her into the wave.

I love this picture and one of these days I am going to have to crop it. When Sarah caught her first wave Chris was just as excited as she was. You can see him throwing his hands in the air in the background like he just won a championship game of bingo! I love that he joys in Sarah's joys. He loves her and wants her to be happy.

The history to this beach goes deeper. When I was student teaching in 1999, Chris and Ryan flew out to visit me for their spring break. Luckily for me the teachers at the time went on strike and so my student teaching ended for the year. I was able to spend all day with the boys.

During that time we took the boys surfing at Kahana Valley!

Sarah says that every time they drive passed Kahana Valley Beach Park, Chris says, "I learned to surf at that beach." Now Sarah can say the same thing. Chris said he was so excited because all he ever wanted was to go surfing with his wife.

That was a direct statement from his mouth to your eyes.



The cool thing about Kahana Valley is, well that is is a valley. It is surrounded by these beautiful furry, green mountains. These next two pictures are out of order but, hovering right around the mountain tops were two para gliders. They were so beautiful. Right when we thought it couldn't get any better they began to hover directly above our heads. We wondered if we needed to get out of the way to give them more space to land, but they picked a little stretch of sand and landed right before our very eyes.

This little beauty about ate her body weight in sand . . . just kidding, but she really tried too.


This picture is entitled "Beach Bum"

Isn't it cute?!

I posted Cambria and Kiera's surfing pictures along with their birthday post, but I didn't want to leave Malachi out of the game. He really took to surfing as well. However after his wipe out, which you are about to see, he stopped trying to stand up when the wave came and opted to ride the surfboard all the way to the sand on his belly instead.

It was very hard to get him to share the surfboard.










Don't worry. He's tough:) The most important thing to remember when you fall off of the board is to get up and try again, if if you decide you can only ride on your tummy

instead of standing on your feet.

3 comments:

libbie said...

So glad you guys had such a good time in HI! Too bad we didn't know eachother were here. . . We could have hooked up! Maybe next time :)

Sharie said...

Such a fun trip and wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing them. I LOVED that picture of Chris cheering for Sarah. It made me smile and feel grateful that they have each other. Thanks for working you magic on them. They miss each other so much it hurts. She'll be back on her way over to him ASAP!
Miss you guys.

Kirstie said...

these make me want to go back to hawaii!! and i can't believe that maze chris made, it look professional