Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pearl Harbor

He just couldn't get the name right. I'd say Pearl Harbor and Bubba would say Girl Harbor. I guess it makes sense, he lives in a female dominated world. Kai and I have a fondness for Pearl Harbor and a deep respect and sense of gratitude for those who were there on that fateful day on December 7, 1941 It took us 2hours and 45 minutes to travel to Pearl Harbor. The reason why has to do with this big rushing river that runs parallel to the road. The river flooded the road and poured of into the ocean. We were almost to Kaneohe when we had to turn around and go the other way. I was about to call the day over, but Kai decided that we should just keep going.
I'm glad we did. Behind Chris and Sarah is a the bridge to Ford Island. Grandpa Davis crossed that bridge every day as he went to work.

After a short film about the day Pearl Harbor was bombed, we road this ferry to the USS Arizona Memorial.



It breaks my heart to see how close the ship is to the surface of the sea. What a tragedy to have so many men die entombed in this vessel. I would hate to drown.
Oil from the ships tanks still seep to the surface.
Cambria touching the smoke stack with her foot.


Guns at the ready.
Bubba in a Plumeria tree.

The view of Pearl Harbor from Grandpa Davis' porch deck. This is also where we went for safety during the Tsunami.
It is a Davis tradition to have photo on Grandpa Davis' stair case. I wish we were still there.
Especially as the summer draws near. I hate the desert:)

4 comments:

Toshia said...

I can't wait to visit Pearl Harbor some day! It looks amazing!!

Amy you look GREAT!!!! :)

Kimberly said...

I was able to go to Pearl Harbor when I was at BYU-Hawaii and it's amazing how the oil is still leaking to this day! My favorite flower was the plumeria! You guys look so natural there in Hawaii, like you should live there! You've got a good looking family!

cherisse said...

What!!!!!! You got to go back to Hawaii and take your whole family!! I am sooooo jealous!!!
How fun for you guys. I cant wait to get back there with my kids.

Stephanie said...

When did you guys go back to visit? I haven't been good at checking blogs lately...again. I am going to be getting caught up on yours again. You guys all look wonderful. Love the pics of Kai surfing, too. Mark did a great job on those. Miss you guys.