Saturday, April 16, 2011

Baptism Day

Jesus came to John the baptist in Judea long ago and was baptized by immersion in the river Jordan' s flow. "To fulfill the law" said Jesus, when the baptist questioned why, "and to enter with my Father in the kingdom up on high."
Now we know that we must also witness faith in Jesus' word, be baptized to show obedience, as was Jesus Christ our Lord. (Children's song book page 100)

I love children's hymns. They so simply teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Cambria was baptized yesterday among an intimate group of friends and family. It was such a sweet experience.


Cambria was a little nervous and the water was cold. After she was baptized she said she felt cold and fresh and happy. She looked happy too. She had a quiet excitement about her as we dried her off and changed her out of her soggy baptismal clothes and into her new white dress.


When she received the gift of the Holy Ghost she said she didn't feel too much different but she was happy to be an official member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


Her two grandma's gave the opening and closing prayers, Kiera gave the talk on baptism (which included a 30 second video that she made) It was so sweet and funny at the same time. Her primary president spotlighted Cambria by discussing some of her favorite things, I gave the talk on the Holy Ghost and actually used a talk that Cambria gave a few months ago. Kai baptized her and she was confirmed a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day-Saints by Kai Davis with Papa Hendrickson and Davis, Bishop White, Steve Faldmo, Cameron Klug, Quinn Ellis, Duane Thurston and Darrin Johnson.


These are a few of the reasons why we are baptized:

1. To be obedient to what Heavenly Father asks of us.

2. For a remission of sins

3. To become a member of the church

4. To prepare us for the gift of the Holy Ghost

5. To gain entrance into the Celestial Kingdom.


Why Our Children are baptized at the Age of 8:

1. In the Doctrine and Covenants, 8 years of age was revealed to be the age of accountability. This means the child is now old enough to distinguish right from wrong and to be responsible for the choices they make.

2. We believe that we are punished for our own sins and that Adam's transgressions are not passed on to infants at birth. Some religions believe that a baby who dies without baptism go to hell.

We are taught in Doctrine and Covenants 137:10 "And I also beheld that all children who die before they arrive at the age of accountability are saved in the Celestial Kingdom of Heaven."

in Moroni 8:20 And he that saith little children need baptism denieth the mercies of Christ, and setteth at naught the atonement of him and the power of his redemption"


8:22 it reads "For behold, all little children are alive in Christ . . ."


Why We are Baptized by Immersion (going completely under the water)

1. Because that is the way Jesus did it. Baptism represents three things, death, burial and Resurrection. Thus the reason for being immersed in water.

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Congratulations to Cambria! What an exciting day for her!

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith Watkins said...

sounds like it was a wonderful day surrounded by lot of love.
Congratulations to Cambria.

Toshia said...

Congratulations Cambria!! I am so excited for you! I wish we could have been there.

Sarah said...

Hey Amy.. Im so sad I missed it. Tells Cambria I love her and Im proud of her. I love you guys! Oh and I am trying to convince Chris to finish school somewhere else so we can be closer to family.. like you! :)

Tiffanyk10 said...

Congratulations Cambria!!! We are so proud of you!!!

Castina said...

AWE! Congrats Cambria! I can't believe she is eight. It seems like just yesterday when I was her nursery leader!