Yesterday we had a very pleasant visit with our friends the Mauldin's. We went out to eat at a little Chinese restaurant. As we were driving home we passed a park near our house. Guess what I saw, a little shirtless boy riding a bike with one missing pom-pom on its handle bar. I was so mad. I hate the thought that he thinks he can help himself to whatever is in our backyard. We pulled over to reclaim our bike and then we drove to his house to talk to his mom. Useless. When I think of the look in her eyes, the phrase deer in the headlights come to mind. Or maybe, the lights are on, but no one is home. I told her what had happened. She called him a little thief and told me that she would let him know that what he did was wrong.
Today, as we were walking home from church, we see this same little boy in his swim suit and slightly dripping. Kai asked him if he had been swimming in our pool. He of course said no. I proceeded to tell hem that it was absolutely not okay for him to swim at our house when we are not home. We checked our pool when we got home and sure enough the evidence of his pool visit was everywhere. The ladder, which was left out of the pool near our back door was now in the pool by our laundry room door. There was a tee ball base in the pool as well as several pieces of chalk. I was so mad. Not only did he litter our pool with junk, but he could have been hurt.
So what do we do? Obviously if he asked his mom about swimming at our house she didn't think it was important enough to check if it was okay, or if it would be done under adult supervision. The kid is 5. What parent gives her five year old that kind of freedom? So my question is: How do you stop a child from coming to your house? Especially when you are not home? Especially when his parents don't help?
Enough of that! We had an exciting week. First of all, I got the new Stephenie Meyer Book, The Host. It took me awhile to get into it, but I ended up loving it. I truly have an addiction. I seem to cease all other functions when I read. I have never used any illicit drugs or formed unhealthy dependencies, but I wonder if this is what it would be like. When I get a book, all I want to do is read. I don't want to do chores, make meals, keep my kids on the routine that I am usually so strict about. When I am forced to do other things, you know the important things, like take care of my kids, all I can think about is holding that book in my hands and filing my head with the words that turn into a movie inside my brain. All too often I stay up late into the night reading so that I can be undisturbed and also so that I can finish the book and be free from its overwhelming powers. It took me three days to read.
Cambria went to kindergarten round up. I don't think I mentioned that yet. She did very well on all of the tests. She thought it was all very fun and can't wait to go for real. I however, am still dreading the thought of sending her to all day Kindergarten. I am still toying with the idea of pulling her out at half day. I just don't think a school should have that much control over my 5 year old. I am sure you all think I am crazy just like the rest of my friends here do.
Malachi is cutting his third tooth and fighting off another ear infection. He is really such a joy. He is such a sweet baby. He is easily entertained by his sisters and it is so sweet to watch the love between my children grow. This is the kind of family I have wanted my whole life.
My brother Chris is doing well on his mission in Washington. He is currently living in a huge mansion. I told him it is going to spoil him for every other place he stays in. He said his testimony is growing and the change that is taking place in his heart is very evident in his letters. He is such a good boy and I miss seeing him.
Kai's grandma Tutu (Hawaiian for grandma) just left our house. She stayed with us for two days and the girls just loved having her. They kept asking her to take a nap with them or swim with them and play with them. But they settled for hugs and kisses since Tutu's flesh is weaker than her spirit. I am glad that the kids got to see her and have such a good time with her. Who knows when we will get to see her again.





5 comments:
Hello Davis Family! Love that new little haircut, it's so pretty on her! That's too bad about the little neighbor boy that you can't seem to keep away. It sounds like you've done what you can already and if the parents are't going to support you in his trespassing issues, I wonder what else can you do?
I'm glad that you had a nice visit with Tutu. That little boy sure sounds like a nuisance...is there any way you can close off your entrance to your yard? I think that will probably be your only answer...since he is a 'wanderer'. I loved the Host also...can't wait for the 4th book of the Twilight Series. :)
Lindsey J
Tarin did all day kindergarten and loved it. It is a long day for the first 6-9 weeks and then they get into the groove and do fine. About the little boy....hmm...I would suggest you take him to church with you. Since his mom doesn't seem to care where he's at, then you can be assured he is learning what he should be. And, he won't be taking your stuff while you're there.
wow - I'm sure you already know this but I think you need to have a fence with locking gates installed. Have you considered invoving the authorities? I know that sounds harsh on a 5 year old, but it would be more for his parent's sake. Sounds like they are neglectful, that's a bigger crime if you ask me. They should be held responsible... I'd get them checked out.
I know you posted this forever ago but I just had to tell you that all day kindergarten isn't bad at all. Kanalu had the best time this year and is really sad this summer because he wants to go to school still. I'm so glad he got to go all day cuz now he's totally excited and prepared for the 1st grade.
Post a Comment