Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bad Attitude

I have to get something off my chest. . . sometimes I get a little bit homesick.

The sickness was particularly strong this July 4Th Holiday.


You see, I knew that back home in California a big family party was underway. Now, I miss a lot of family parties and though I would like to attend them all, they don't all strike such a melancholy cord deep within my soul. But, alas it has been close to a year since I have set foot on California soil. It's not that California has such great soil . . . but I sure miss my family.

And I for sure miss my aunt's fourth of July parties.

We didn't have any plans to celebrate America's birth, (well we did, but they fell through) so I am ashamed to admit I spent a good part of the day wallowing in self pity. Then after a conversation with my mom I decided that I needed an attitude adjustment and if I wanted to have fun and more importantly, if I wanted to provide fun for my family, then I had to snap out if the funk that I was in.


(Independence Day Craft . . . before the funk set in . . . my kids love to paint)
So I rolled up my proverbial sleeves and got to work cooking up so festive food and planning a party for the six of us. The we decided to invite one of friends over because her husband was at work for the night and I figured she might be in the same funk I was. It was a great idea. Just having those two extra people at our house added a little more fun.



I love this handsome little boy:)




Kiera found a piece of pop corn that looked like it was opening its mouth.



Lady Liberty made an appearance (this was my first step to defunking- an outfit can really change your attitude:))








We had good food, a good swim in our little pool, lit off some fun fireowrks and then watched a firework show form our front yard. And you know what, I totally enjoyed the evening. It just goes to show you that your attitude can make a big difference in how a day turns out.








In other news, a drawer broke and Raia decided it was a great place to sit inside. Kiera thought this was hilarious.



And speaking of attittude adjustment, Bubba was feeling like he wanted to hide in a corner after he woke up from his nap, but Raia wanted to say hi. She walked up to him and patted his back, pulled his hair and peeked at him until she won a smile.
I am sure she was the only one who could have pulled him out of his funk.

These two siblings really love each other.

5 comments:

HaYn Mama said...

super cute... the funk is no fun... so glad your gorgeous family helped you celebrate and have a great day :)

Toshia said...

Raia is sooo cute!! I wish we could have celebrated the 4th with you! We unpacked and then went to bed early. Blah!

I just realized I need to email you my new contact info! :)

Lauren said...

I know what you mean, I get sad especially around thanksgiving and christmas...no one wants to visit us in the winter. I can't blame them.

RightHahn said...

I totally had the same bad attitude!! Growing up in Texas has made me come to expect a lot out of the 4th of July - and when our town cancelled its firework show, I thought it was a cruel, cruel trick. Like no presents on Christmas cruel!!

You were better than me though - I remained defiantly pouty all day:)

JoAnna Anderson said...

Looks like a pretty magical 4th to me! I know what you mean when it comes to being in a funk & being homsick. That is usually my Easter attitude since I know we are still wet & cold in WA and everyone else gets that perfect Spring weather & Summer on the way. Your kids are so cute. I can't wait to meet them someday!